PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sending it out to the house: EQ then compressor or vice versa?

Fletcher
July 1st 03, 02:53 PM
ChrisCoaster wrote:

> I've always been confused about this one. Any advice?

If you're talking about a 'sound reinforcement' application...
then you're talking about both shaping the sound, and system
protection. From the perspective of 'shaping the sound', you
probably want to EQ then compress... if you're talking about
system protection... then you want a peak limiter at the end of
the chain to prevent spikes that are enhanced in level by the EQ
from turning into a 'catastrophic failure' kind of thing.

Best of luck with it.
--
Fletcher
Mercenary Audio

jspartz
July 1st 03, 05:49 PM
I usually use compression then EQ. Think about it. As an example, if you are
boosting lower frequencies on your EQ and your compressor is after it in the
chain. Isn't your compressor compressing the boost in gain of your signal from
the EQ? For live sound I would not do this. Recording would be a different
story.

jason

Web: www.mudstonemusic.com
E-mail: