PDA

View Full Version : Help!! SONAR 2.2 Dropouts

Yoav
July 1st 03, 11:59 AM
Hi,
I have Sonar 2.2 running on an Athlon XP 2400+ windows XP pro 512MB
DDR
machine!

my audio card is a SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY PLATINUM 2 EX

and i keep getting audio drop outs, EVERY SINGLE TIME I RECORD.

this is very very very annoying.

when i create an audio track and arm it for recording, instead of
hearing the output threw the card and controlling it threw the card
mixer (like all the other recording programs... sonar, cooledit... ) ,
Sonar steps in and lets me hear it and controll it threw the program.
the problem is, it has big delays.
and i keep getting dropouts when i record.

on the track details, i choose - input - Stereo SB audigy audio (D000)
and on the output i have 4 choices -

A (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 1/2
B (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 3/4
C (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 5/6
D (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 7/8

anyway,
I really dont know what i am suppose to do.
I am sure its just something wrong with my configuration in the AUDIO
OPTIONS.

I have tried Defragmenting, and changing the IO buffer size.. dosnt
help.

what do i do?
please help. I'm loosing my mind.

(if you could reply to my email i would appriciate it)

Ethan Winer
July 1st 03, 02:41 PM
Yoav,

> and i keep getting audio drop outs, EVERY SINGLE TIME I RECORD. <

You need to optimize your Windows installation for audio. It's a lot of
little steps, but it must be done if you ever hope to record audio. There
are a number of sites that list the details, and my recent series from
Keyboard magazine explains the basics. Go to my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

Then look for the Keyboard series. Part 3 is most relevant to your problem,
but the other parts have a lot of useful advice too.

--Ethan

Scott Rolston
July 1st 03, 04:13 PM
You are running a wicked machine with a great sequencer. Get a soundcard
and dump the
SB s**t. Here's some choices.
Echo Gina
Echo Mia
M-Audio audiophile 24/96
Delta 44
Delta 66
RME Hammerfall
Frontier Designs

Go to the news.cakewalk.com server and subscribe to Product.SONAR in your
newsreader.

Scott

"Yoav" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
> I have Sonar 2.2 running on an Athlon XP 2400+ windows XP pro 512MB
> DDR
> machine!
>
> my audio card is a SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY PLATINUM 2 EX
>
> and i keep getting audio drop outs, EVERY SINGLE TIME I RECORD.
>
> this is very very very annoying.
>
> when i create an audio track and arm it for recording, instead of
> hearing the output threw the card and controlling it threw the card
> mixer (like all the other recording programs... sonar, cooledit... ) ,
> Sonar steps in and lets me hear it and controll it threw the program.
> the problem is, it has big delays.
> and i keep getting dropouts when i record.
>
> on the track details, i choose - input - Stereo SB audigy audio (D000)
> and on the output i have 4 choices -
>
> A (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 1/2
> B (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 3/4
> C (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 5/6
> D (SB AUDIGY Audio [D000] 7/8
>
> anyway,
> I really dont know what i am suppose to do.
> I am sure its just something wrong with my configuration in the AUDIO
> OPTIONS.
>
> I have tried Defragmenting, and changing the IO buffer size.. dosnt
> help.
>
> what do i do?
> please help. I'm loosing my mind.
>
> (if you could reply to my email i would appriciate it)

Martin
July 4th 03, 06:12 AM
What did you set your I/O Buffer Size to? I had major drop outs and my disk
utilization was running up around 50% until I changed my I/O Buffer Size to
2048. Then, Voila! Drop outs disappeared completely and disk utilization
went down to 5% - 10% on the same tracks. This is contrary to what the Help
file states, I might add. I think the default original size was about 128
and the help file says to make it smaller if you have drop outs. Anyway,
it's been some time since I made the change but I do remember changing the
value to 2048 and that being a huge difference in size from the default.

Martin

om...