PDA

View Full Version : Re: Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

Chris Johnson
June 30th 03, 11:26 PM
In article >,
Erwin Timmerman > wrote:
> No. With "more dynamic" he means "more dynamic". Which means, very soft
> parts as well as very loud parts. The RAP5 collection is a collection of
> songs recorded by recording engineers on this newsgroup. Most of them
> despise the loud louder loudest war that is going on in commercial releases,
> and won't contribute to it. The way their recordings sound, shows it. Really
> nice to listen to.

For what it's worth my entry is relevant to this crest factor
discussion. The version of "Take A Number" on the RAP5 collection has
essentially a scratch vocal, and was processed using phase-reversed
doctored sidechain compression to crank up the crest factor VERY high,
in fact higher than I ever use anymore.

I was trying to show what the opposite extreme could sound like-
think I more or less succeeded within the limitations of what I had to
work with. I believe that in this case, many people would agree with
Myke that this version of "Take A Number" would make a better mp3 if it
was peak limited and its crest factor was reduced- again, because it was
intentionally exaggerated wildly for use as an example.

The current version happens to be louder and denser, with a different
snarly-punkish lead vocal that's about 32 times louder :)

Chris Johnson