PDA

View Full Version : Re: Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

Chris Johnson
June 30th 03, 11:19 PM
In article >,
Lord Hasenpfeffer > wrote:
> In no way am I interested in brutally forcing any RMS levels to go
> "through the roof". Anywhere from strictly normalized to "slightly hot"
> levels (depending on genre) are all that I seek. Many times I've
> encountered WAVs from CDs that are, according to my standards, mastered
> too loudly. When this is the case, I _do_ simply "rip-and-encode" the
> unmodified, original WAVs (contrary to what dip**** said of me earlier
> when he said I seek to indiscriminately normalize every CD I own). If
> that were the case, I'd end up making half of what's in my library
> *quieter* than it is on the original CDs, not louder! :)

Oh, this _so_ makes me want to get in touch with whoever's writing
Myke's software and set them up with a nice sine-based transfer function
for leaning out those over-loud CDs. It wouldn't take much, and I've
been using that in my own software for eons, it's just that when I
record stuff I _don't_ squash it so there's no point to trying to
unsquash it, so I just don't use that functionality. Don't listen to
modern squashed music either- praps I should.

All you need to do is a simple function that operates like a peak
expander with essentially no 'knee': slowest possible transition between
FS samples (untouched) and near-zero samples (attenuated somewhat).
Doesn't even have to incur any latency. Though admittedly doing this
properly is math-intensive compared with peak limiting: but since CDs
only have 65535 data values you can just make a lookup table, no problem
there.

I'm sure someone else will hit on this at some point. More than happy
to help out if asked. I code GPL so working with open-source guys suits
me.

Chris Johnson