PDA

View Full Version : Re: Tuner Preamp?

Harry Muscle
June 11th 04, 09:43 PM
"Terry" > wrote in message
> Adcom GTP-500 would be the model, just make sure it works correctly,
> the switching IC's are static sensitive and cost $15 each.
>
> Terry
>
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:29:24 -0500, "Mark D. Zacharias"
> > wrote:
>
> >How about an Adcom tuner-pre on eBay?
> >
> >Mark Z.
>
> Terry
> WB4NHB
> www.mcintoshaudio.com

How about the GTP-450, it's a bit cheaper. Do you know off hand what the
differences would be between the 450 & 500?

Thanks,
Harry

Ted Azito
June 13th 04, 12:46 AM
McIntosh made a number of Tuner Preamps, such as the MX110.
Alternatively, some of the early Marantz solid state receivers,
designed by Sid "Secret Schmoo" Smith and Dick Sequerra, were noted
for great sound but frequent output section failures. Why not remove
the power amp section and use it as a tuner preamp? I doubt the power
supply would put out too much voltage without the power amp section,
but you could always tweak to suit if necessary.

June 16th 04, 07:17 PM
(Ted Azito) wrote in message >...
> McIntosh made a number of Tuner Preamps, such as the MX110.
> Alternatively, some of the early Marantz solid state receivers,
> designed by Sid "Secret Schmoo" Smith and Dick Sequerra, were noted
> for great sound but frequent output section failures. Why not remove
> the power amp section and use it as a tuner preamp? I doubt the power
> supply would put out too much voltage without the power amp section,
> but you could always tweak to suit if necessary.

None of the above have the remote control feature that the OP wants.

As another poster suggested, I'd buy a new, low-priced receiver with
remote. Then I'd sell the existing amp (which would push the overall
cost down) and let the new receiver power my speakers.