PDA

View Full Version : Technics SE-A5?

endus
July 23rd 03, 11:55 PM
Hi...

I am trying to build a second system for music in my house. My
primary system is an Acurus ACT-3 and an Acurus 5 channel amp. This
setup is great when paired with my PSB Image 6t's for home theater and
TV, but does not give the kind of sound I want at all when hooked up
to my JBL Century L-100A's.

Obviously I'm not looking for anything high end...I'm just looking for
a system that has serious ass-kicking power for when I want to listen
to electronic music, hiphop, or just loud rock. Basically a system
for entertaining mostly...but I still want it to sound decent.

A friend of mine has a Technics SE-A5 hooked up to his Century L-100's
and it sounds awesome...this amp seems to match very well with the
sometimes overly bright sound of the centuries. There is some info on
this amp on line but not too much. Basically my questions are...

- Does anyone know anything about this amp? What kind of power does
it output?

- How does it compare to an amp like the SE-A70, which I see for
auction on ebay right now? Are there any other comparable or better
amps that I should consider? What about the SE-A3?

- What are my chances of finding an SE-A5 on or off line? Are they
pretty easy to find? How much should I expect to pay? It seems like
they vary between about $350 and $650...

- Any suggestions on a preamp for this? I was thinking of getting
something of the same vintage...possibly even another technics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! TIA!
**** e * n * d * u * s * d * o * t * c * o * m ****

Civil liberties are black and white issues.
I don't think people think far enough to see the
ramifications. The PATRIOT Act was a dagger in the
heart, really, of even the concept of a democratic
government that is free, equal and just.
-Hunter S. Thompson