PDA

View Full Version : Adcom question

Northamusi
September 8th 03, 04:58 PM
I have the following problem with my Adcom GFP-565 preamp. It seems tp have
developed recently. I don't recall this in the past.

If I have the 'record selector' set to CD, and also the 'listen selector' set
to CD, I get audible pops under the following circumstances:

1. as I move the listen selector into or out of the CD position

2. when I cue my CD player to the next track (!) or hit the pause button (very
odd)

I generally have the same problem any time the record selector is set to a
source that I want to listen to.

For example if the record control is set to tuner, and I switch the listen
control to tuner I get a pop when I move the listen selector.
This happens regardless of whether I use the 'lab' or 'norm' main outs on the
Adcom and happens with more than 1 power amplifier.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? I'm wondering if it might be cold
solder joints on a ground somewhere, or possibly the listen or record selector
in need of replacement.

Any suggestions will be apreciated!!
Peace
Steve

September 8th 03, 07:59 PM
The first thing to exclude is dirty contacts in the switches. Turn every
thing off, quickly switch in and out of the selection position which
causes pops, this will tend to wipe off anything on the contacts.
Failing this, get some contact cleaner, the kind in an aerosol can, from
RS or electronic supply place and use it on the switch pots, repeating the
rapid switching as above. Things get more complex if it is not dirty
contacts.

>I have the following problem with my Adcom GFP-565 preamp. It seems tp have
>developed recently. I don't recall this in the past.
>
>If I have the 'record selector' set to CD, and also the 'listen selector' set
>to CD, I get audible pops under the following circumstances:
>
>1. as I move the listen selector into or out of the CD position
>
>2. when I cue my CD player to the next track (!) or hit the pause button (very
>odd)
>
>I generally have the same problem any time the record selector is set to a
>source that I want to listen to.
>
>For example if the record control is set to tuner, and I switch the listen
>control to tuner I get a pop when I move the listen selector.
>This happens regardless of whether I use the 'lab' or 'norm' main outs on the
>Adcom and happens with more than 1 power amplifier.
>
>Has anyone experienced similar problems? I'm wondering if it might be cold
>solder joints on a ground somewhere, or possibly the listen or record selector
>in need of replacement.
>
>Any suggestions will be apreciated!!
>Peace
>Steve

Northamusi
September 9th 03, 04:50 PM
Thanks... I tried 'exercising' the switches. Guess I'll open it up and try some
contact cleaner.
peace
Steve