PDA

View Full Version : record skipping please help!!

Lisa
August 30th 03, 06:46 PM
Hello there

I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
it. Any ideas?

thanks

justin

August 30th 03, 11:34 PM
Ah, you have just experienced raw jitter, the best solution of which is a
"cool" interconnect by which to tame it. This source of jitter was solved
by the cd and it's kind of wire.

>I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
>nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
>real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
>5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
>to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
>boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
>alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
>it. Any ideas?
>
>thanks
>
>justin

Norman Schwartz
August 30th 03, 11:47 PM
"Lisa" > wrote in message
> Hello there
>
> I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
> nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
> real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
> 5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
> to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
> boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
> alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
> it. Any ideas?

Anti-skating force set too high?

Uptown Audio
September 1st 03, 06:49 AM
A couple other possibilities are mechanical return devices in units so
equipped and tonearm cable to output connection orientation. Both
systems are located on the underside of the platter. In my experience
it is usually the tonearm cable in a twist as this cannot be seen or
heard from the outside of the unit.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

> Ah, you have just experienced raw jitter, the best solution of which
is a
> "cool" interconnect by which to tame it. This source of jitter was
solved
> by the cd and it's kind of wire.
>
> >I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
> >nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
> >real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the
last
> >5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it
starts
> >to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an
old
> >boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
> >alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
> >it. Any ideas?
> >
> >thanks
> >
> >justin

Lisa
September 1st 03, 05:02 PM
BEAR > wrote in message news:<%Gq4b.318366$uu5.65905@sccrnsc04>...
> Perhaps this is why the TT was sold?
>
> Well, does the TT have an auto pick up at the end?
>
> This is a mechanical linkage connected to the arm, and if it malfunctions
> (all plastic likely) it will add force to the rotation of the arm and cause it
> to hang where it comes into contact.
>
> If so, open the bottom of the TT and see what's going on. Maybe you
> can see the problem, bend or lube a linkage, or disable it entirely.
>
> IF there is no such mechanism, I'd take the cartridge off, OR put a stylus
> guard on the cartridge then balance the arm at ZERO (floating) set the
> anti skate so the arm will sit still, then blow on the arm and see if it
> will travel past the point where it stops now.
>
> If not, the possible culprits include *dirt* in a bearing (the horizontal
> bearing for the arm) which perhaps can be moved or worked out by
> moving the arm, or something contacting the rotating parts under
> or above the surface of the TT, or the wires which come through the
> bottom of the TT providing some sort of force or resistance below.
>
> Most of this may require opening the bottom of the TT, and maybe
> even removing and partially disassembling the arm, depending upon
> what you find.
>
> The good part is that arms are fairly simple devices, the bad part is
> that the Japanese arms are sometimes put together so that it is difficult
> to get them apart without some tricks and maybe specialized tools
> (spanner wrenches or something that will work or you make to do the
> job).
>
> Dirt can sometimes be removed from open ball bearings by spraying
> with an aerosol spray cleaner and then re-lubing... sometimes the bearings
> are visible from the bottom
>
> _-_-
>
> Of course, check the anti-skate, and make CERTAIN the tt is LEVEL!!
>
> Lisa wrote:
>
> > Hello there
> >
> > I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a
> > nagaoka MP11 cartridge and new stylus. Records sound great on it, a
> > real improvement on my old TT, but whenever it gets withing the last
> > 5cm of the record (usually the last or second to last song), it starts
> > to disctort and then skips. This happens whether the record is an old
> > boot sale records or brand new unplayed. I have adjusted the
> > alighnment of the cartridge and it seems better, but is still doing
> > it. Any ideas?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > justin

Thanks for everyones help.

Problem is now solved, think it was just a mixture of high anti-skate
and twisted wires

regards

justin

Michael Squires
September 2nd 03, 05:14 AM
In article <Zp54b.307521$Ho3.42967@sccrnsc03>,
Lisa > wrote:
>Hello there
>
>I have just boight a secondhand turntable. Its a Rotel RP830 with a

One possibility is this: if the turntable has an automatic arm lift-up
at the end of the record this may be out of adjustment, and changing the
tracking.

However, LP's are hardest to play on the inside where the groove velocity
is the slowest and you may need to increase tracking pressure and reset
the anti-skate.

The best way to do this is with a test record and oscilloscope, as I used
to do in a shop 25 years ago. You are better off setting tracking
pressure towards the high end of your cartridge's specs than trying to
keep it light, as mistracking will damage LP's more than the increased
wear from a slightly higher tracking force. Experimenting with the settings
may be the only way if you don't have the instrumentation, but don't use
your favorite LP's for this.

If your turntable does not have anti-skate settings, most didn't.

Mike Squires
SME 3009II/Thorens TD125
--

Mike Squires ) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408