PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Wire & Sound Quality Question

CajunUSA
August 29th 03, 08:24 PM
Hello! I'm building onto my existing house, and I pre-wired one room
with speaker wire for a "surround sound" effect. (I plan to put a
speaker in each corner of the room, and the wires for these speakers
are now running inside the completed walls.)

Unfortunately, I now realize that my speaker wires are about 3 feet
too short, and so they don't extend to quite the right spot in the
room where I want to put my audio stack.

I _could_ put the stack in the spot were the four speaker wires come
out of the wall all together, but -- and this is my question -- would
it cause any obvious loss of audio quality to merely _add_ another
three feet of speaker wire between each short wire and the back of my
stack by just "splicing" the ends of the wires together (that is, by
twisting them around each other and wrapping them in electrical
tape)???

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shane

Uptown Audio
August 30th 03, 11:50 PM
Actually the best alternative would be to re-think your speaker
location. The corners are the worst possible sounding location for the
speakers. Move the speakers three feet to where the wires reach
comfortably and use that as their new location. That should give you
enough cabling to place the stereo where you desire and provide better
sound for a surround application. Next install a wall plate behind the
stereo and leave enough slack of cable in the walls for some movement.
I would solder all the connections in the walls solidly. You can then
add whatever you need to the wall plate from outside of the wall
without worrying about interior connection problems.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"CajunUSA" > wrote in message
> Hello! I'm building onto my existing house, and I pre-wired one
room
> with speaker wire for a "surround sound" effect. (I plan to put a
> speaker in each corner of the room, and the wires for these speakers
> are now running inside the completed walls.)
>
> Unfortunately, I now realize that my speaker wires are about 3 feet
> too short, and so they don't extend to quite the right spot in the
> room where I want to put my audio stack.
>
> I _could_ put the stack in the spot were the four speaker wires come
> out of the wall all together, but -- and this is my question --
would
> it cause any obvious loss of audio quality to merely _add_ another
> three feet of speaker wire between each short wire and the back of
my
> stack by just "splicing" the ends of the wires together (that is, by
> twisting them around each other and wrapping them in electrical
> tape)???
>
> Your opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Shane

CajunUSA
September 1st 03, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the advice: Looks like I'll be doing some soldering, and
I'll looking to the wall plate idea.

Sincerely,

Shane