PDA

View Full Version : Great Multi-channel Recordings?

DB
August 29th 03, 06:43 PM
I recently purchased an SACD/DVD-A combo player. Now comes the search
for great recordings in both formats. Suggestions welcomed, encouraged
and needed! Including info about on-line dealers (I'm stuck in the
sticks where only Best-Buy is local).

Thanks in advance ... DB

Harry Lavo
August 30th 03, 01:10 AM
"DB" > wrote in message
et...
> I recently purchased an SACD/DVD-A combo player. Now comes the search
> for great recordings in both formats. Suggestions welcomed, encouraged
> and needed! Including info about on-line dealers (I'm stuck in the
> sticks where only Best-Buy is local).
>
> Thanks in advance ... DB

Well, fortunately most Best Buy stores now have a three-rack section (one
for DVD-A, two for SACD) and they stock a pretty wide range of material and
getting better all the time. Plus their prices are generally the lowest
outside of discount mail order. Start there.

You may wish to browse through SACDinfo.com. This is a site with
listener-written reviews of many SACDS. You can sort for your preferred
types of music to narrow the list. Right now there are over 1300 SACDs
world-wide (some available only overseas) and about 400-500 DVD-A's.

If you will list here the categories of music you most like, I will try to
give you some specific recommendations.

DB
August 31st 03, 04:30 PM
"Harry Lavo" > wrote in message news:<
> If you will list here the categories of music you most like, I will try to
> give you some specific recommendations.

Thanks, Harry. Like many boomers, I don't like to box myself in about
what i listen to, so instead of categories, here's what i have been
listening to lately:
Steely Dan
The AIX jazz and acoustic titles (I have a bunch of them)
Dave Brubeck Timeout
Buena Vista Social Club
Blue Man Group
Al Dimeola
Bela Fleck
Alison Krause
Flaming Lips
Some Classics -- mostly Beethoven

DB

Harry Lavo
September 1st 03, 06:49 AM
"DB" > wrote in message
> "Harry Lavo" > wrote in message news:<
> > If you will list here the categories of music you most like, I will try
> > give you some specific recommendations.
>
> Thanks, Harry. Like many boomers, I don't like to box myself in about
> what i listen to, so instead of categories, here's what i have been
> listening to lately:
> Steely Dan
> The AIX jazz and acoustic titles (I have a bunch of them)
> Dave Brubeck Timeout
> Buena Vista Social Club
> Blue Man Group
> Al Dimeola
> Bela Fleck
> Alison Krause
> Flaming Lips
> Some Classics -- mostly Beethoven
>
> DB

Some SACD titles to try, then:

Alison Krause and Union Station - Live in Louisville - (great concert sound,
great performances)
Nickel Creek - Nickel Creek (modern bluegrass)
Mingus Ah Um - Charlie Mingus and company in their prime (stereo only)
Keystone 3 - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (superior modern jazz)
Stir It Up - the Music of Bob Marley - Monty Alexander (reggae-jazz
fusion)(stereo only)
Blue Country Heart - Jorma Kaukonen - Bluegrass-tinged country tunes
David Johansen and the Harry Smiths - Blues/Jazz/Bluegrass amalgam that
works
Beethoven Symphony No. 5 & Schubert No. 8 - Bruno Walter, N. Y. Philharmonic
(stereo only)
Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor) - Serkin and the Boston
Philharmonic (stereo only)
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2 - LangLang and St. Petersburg Philharmonic
Chopin Polonaises - Pollini - great performance in acoustically superior
hall

All but those marked stereo only are multichannel. All have well above
average SACD sound, no matter whether analog or digital in origin. Many are
direct to DSD (in other words recorded using the new technology and
reproduced using the new technology).

Charles Tomaras
September 1st 03, 06:51 AM
Here's a couple of remarkable multi-channel recordings from DMP Records that are
100% DSD that I'm really enamored with:

http://www.dmprecords.com/gently.htm

http://www.dmprecords.com/grace.htm

tcassette
September 2nd 03, 06:04 AM
Try these:

Donald Fagen "The Nightfly"
Frank Zappa "Halloween"
Yes "Fragile"
Steve Stevens "Flamenco.a.go.go
Tchaikovsky "6th Symphony and Nutcracker Suite" Orchestre de Paris Seiji
Ozawa
Jeff Beck "Blow by Blow"
Peter Gabriel "Up" -the one without Shania Twain on the cover ;^)
David Bowie "Heathen"

Also, CircuitCity.com has extensive catalogs of both SACD and DVD-Audio at
decent prices, with free shipping.
"DB" > wrote in message
et...
> I recently purchased an SACD/DVD-A combo player. Now comes the search
> for great recordings in both formats. Suggestions welcomed, encouraged
> and needed! Including info about on-line dealers (I'm stuck in the
> sticks where only Best-Buy is local).
>
> Thanks in advance ... DB

Steven Sullivan
September 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
DB > wrote:
> "Harry Lavo" > wrote in message news:<
> > If you will list here the categories of music you most like, I will try to
> > give you some specific recommendations.

> Thanks, Harry. Like many boomers, I don't like to box myself in about
> what i listen to, so instead of categories, here's what i have been
> listening to lately:
> Steely Dan
> The AIX jazz and acoustic titles (I have a bunch of them)
> Dave Brubeck Timeout
> Buena Vista Social Club
> Blue Man Group
> Al Dimeola
> Bela Fleck
> Alison Krause
> Flaming Lips
> Some Classics -- mostly Beethoven

For Beethoven, I'd suggest picking up the SACD of the famous
Carlos Kleiber 5th/7th on DG. Very nicely done in surround
sound, adding hall ambience.

--
-S.