PDA

View Full Version : Re: Would like to by receiver first, looking for suggestion.

Harry Lavo
August 28th 03, 05:09 AM
"kishuri" > wrote in message
> I read few discussion forum about audio world. I am new to this,
> therefore, don't understand the many features of receivers. But I
> realized Yamaha receivers are good, but Yamaha has several different
> type of receivers. Could not understand the differences among several
> types : natural sound receivers , A/V receiver, home theater receiver.
> At present, I live in an apartment but in couple of years I will be
> moving to independent home. So the receiver should fit to these two
> places. Am totally confused with terms like DSP, Dolby digital,
> surround , multiroom etc etc. I'm confused with two main components:
> receiver and speakers. First I would like to clearup my doubts about
> receivers, next I will think about speakers. However, another
> confusion is where to buy from, I live California. Whether internet is
> better to save tax or Fry's or Best buy's.
>
> By the way, what if I buy some cheap used receivers to learn the
> basics. Any comment.
>
> I would appreciate someone clearing my doubts
>
> kishuri

My suggestion would be twofold:

a) try to get your hands on a copy of "Sound & Vision Buyer's Guide 2003
which should be out in September on an newstands through December. This
"annual" directory has short articles at the beginning of each class of
equipment, e.g receivers, speakers, etc. discussing the basic variations and
features, and giving some guidance as to what is most important, what least
important, etc. If you can't wait, your local library may have a copy of
the 2002 version. Careful study of this book will teach a lot about the
basics.

b) then go to a Yamaha dealer and ask him to describe the various lines, and
what the differences are.

I'd put off any buying decision until you visited a few high-end specialty
dealers and a few best-buy / circuit city type stores. Then decide whether
the quality of the advice justifies paying slightly more at the specialty
dealer. I think it will; you may agree or not.

Until you have a firm grasp of the subject matter and first hand experience
with you own system, I'd stay away from the internet. It can be a wolf's
den for the untutored.

Bob Marcus
August 28th 03, 04:17 PM
(kishuri) wrote in message news:<3pd3b.214033$cF.68994@rwcrnsc53>...
> I read few discussion forum about audio world. I am new to this,
> therefore, don't understand the many features of receivers. But I
> realized Yamaha receivers are good, but Yamaha has several different
> type of receivers. Could not understand the differences among several
> types : natural sound receivers , A/V receiver, home theater receiver.
> At present, I live in an apartment but in couple of years I will be
> moving to independent home. So the receiver should fit to these two
> places. Am totally confused with terms like DSP, Dolby digital,
> surround , multiroom etc etc. I'm confused with two main components:
> receiver and speakers. First I would like to clearup my doubts about
> receivers, next I will think about speakers. However, another
> confusion is where to buy from, I live California. Whether internet is
> better to save tax or Fry's or Best buy's.
>
> By the way, what if I buy some cheap used receivers to learn the
> basics. Any comment.
>
> I would appreciate someone clearing my doubts

Harry's suggestion about Sound & Vision's equipment directory is a
good one. If a local library subscribes, just thumbing through their
back issues will get you a lot of info as well. And you can try their
Web site:

www.soundandvisionmag.com

There are also books on the subject. (I'm sure there's a "Home Theater
for Dummies.") Try searching for "home theater" on Amazon.

bob

Joseph Oberlander
August 28th 03, 11:58 PM
Bob Marcus wrote:

> Harry's suggestion about Sound & Vision's equipment directory is a
> good one. If a local library subscribes, just thumbing through their
> back issues will get you a lot of info as well. And you can try their
> Web site:
>
> www.soundandvisionmag.com

Also try:
http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

It's a nice beginner's site. The models are pretty basic, but
should give you a place to start comparing.

kishuri
August 29th 03, 08:23 PM
Thank you Harry, Bob, and Joseph. Wonderful suggestions. I will work
on these, and make a decision. Will let you all know what am decided.

However,I welcome other suggestions as well.

thanks again,
kishuri