PDA

View Full Version : Head phones

Rick Scott
August 26th 03, 01:37 AM
I would like to set up simple headphone only system: CD player, headphone
amp, and head phones. budget = $1200 to $1600. I am interested in a warm and
slightly laid back sound. What suggestions do any of you have?

--
Rick

chung
August 26th 03, 04:27 AM
Rick Scott wrote:
> I would like to set up simple headphone only system: CD player, headphone
> amp, and head phones. budget = $1200 to $1600. I am interested in a warm and
> slightly laid back sound. What suggestions do any of you have?
>

> --
> Rick

If you are handy with a soldering iron, you may want to consider getting
Etymotic Research earphones with a custom equalizer:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

Or use the Sennheiser HD414 with a custom equalizer.

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd
August 26th 03, 06:04 AM
In article >, Rick Scott
> says...
> I would like to set up simple headphone only system: CD player, headphone
> amp, and head phones. budget = $1200 to $1600. I am interested in a warm and
> slightly laid back sound. What suggestions do any of you have?

I'm not sure if Musica Fidelity still makes their X-Can v2 but it's the
first this you should (IMHO) look up. It's a 1 watt tube headphone amp
and should cost around $200-300 IIRC.

'bout the headphones. Any higher end Grado's or Sennheisers will probably
do; something like Grado SR225 or SR325 or perhaps Sennheiser HD580 or
HD600.

You'll probably still have some spare $ for a X-PSU additional power
suply. Hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, but I think it can be
used with X-Cans/Can v2.

Spend the rest on a good cd player and/or good cables.

--
"We still have much to learn about the art of sound reproduction;
ultimately, our responsibility is to our ears,not to established

Dennis Moore
August 26th 03, 06:20 AM
Antique Sound Labs Headphone amp. $279
Single ended triode, with OTL operation possible.
http://www.tubehifi.com/amp/amp/mgheaddt.html

Senheisser 600 Headphones.
About $300 give or take a few.

Pick one of the universal players that do SACD, DVD-A and
CD. You got it all covered.

Good luck,
Dennis