PDA

View Full Version : Monitor speaker recommendation?

Wylie Williams
August 24th 03, 03:07 AM
I have been approached by an acquaintance to give advice on the purchase of
a pair of pro sound monitors for home stereo use, promarily rock. He
already has a 300+ wpc Crown amp, a prosound EQ, and a BBE device(which he
says makes all the difference). He now is looking for genuine "monitor"
speakers. My role is to give him a list of candidates. Frankly the only one
I know about is the eternal JBL 12" 3 way (43xx or whatever it is now), but
he has been looking at big black boxes with horns, which I think might be
better suited to small auditoriums or DJ gigs than home stereo. I told him
this is out of my area of experience, but I would "ask around". Can anybody
help?

Harry Lavo
August 24th 03, 05:24 PM
"Wylie Williams" > wrote in message
> I have been approached by an acquaintance to give advice on the purchase
of
> a pair of pro sound monitors for home stereo use, promarily rock. He
> already has a 300+ wpc Crown amp, a prosound EQ, and a BBE device(which
he
> says makes all the difference). He now is looking for genuine "monitor"
> speakers. My role is to give him a list of candidates. Frankly the only
one
> I know about is the eternal JBL 12" 3 way (43xx or whatever it is now),
but
> he has been looking at big black boxes with horns, which I think might be
> better suited to small auditoriums or DJ gigs than home stereo. I told
him
> this is out of my area of experience, but I would "ask around". Can
anybody
> help?

He needs to go to a couple of pro-audio dealers with monitors to demo and
take a look at what are called mid-field or far-field monitors. These are
traditionally full range speakers, as compared to the mini-near-field
monitors meant to be heard from only a few feet distance, and definitely
restricted in frequency response. You are right that the PA "big black
boxes with horns" are not right for home use, but a "medium oak box" far
field monitor with horns might be. Brand names escape me right now.

If he really wants to be different he should buy a couple of K-Horns and a
Belle Klipsch and he can have the police there anytime he wants.

Joseph Oberlander
August 24th 03, 05:25 PM
Wylie Williams wrote:
> I have been approached by an acquaintance to give advice on the purchase of
> a pair of pro sound monitors for home stereo use, promarily rock. He
> already has a 300+ wpc Crown amp, a prosound EQ, and a BBE device(which he
> says makes all the difference). He now is looking for genuine "monitor"
> speakers. My role is to give him a list of candidates. Frankly the only one
> I know about is the eternal JBL 12" 3 way (43xx or whatever it is now), but
> he has been looking at big black boxes with horns, which I think might be
> better suited to small auditoriums or DJ gigs than home stereo. I told him
> this is out of my area of experience, but I would "ask around". Can anybody
> help?

The JBLs are still very good for his application. They currently come
in um... black. :) They are still very good speakers, despite the
complete lack of reviews - because they haven't changed in a decade or
more. Reviewers tend to review the new speakers and not the old standards.
When was the last Genelec review you saw in a magazine?

Horn tweeters are good for loudness, but are really no better than
a dome tweeter for accuracy(ie - looks mostly).