PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofers

Mannie Smith
August 13th 03, 05:32 PM
What's the best way to match up a subwoofer to an existing pair of 2-way speakers?

Wylie Williams
August 13th 03, 09:01 PM
Mannie, it's dangerous to ask for the "best way". That invites high dollar
suggestions. Here's mine: Buy an electronic crossover and bi amp. There
are reports that taking the bass away from the 2 -ways aids their sound
quality.
And of course placing the subwoofer in tha best location. Maybe someone will
tackle the instructions, as I don't have anything to suggest except put it
in a corner.
Wylie Williams

"Mannie Smith" > wrote in message
> What's the best way to match up a subwoofer to an existing pair of 2-way
speakers?

Wylie Williams
August 13th 03, 09:11 PM
Mannie, it's dangerous to ask for the "best way". That invites high dollar
suggestions. Here's mine: Buy an electronic crossover and bi amp. There
are reports that taking the bass away from the 2 -ways aids their sound
quality.
And of course placing the subwoofer in tha best location. Maybe someone will
tackle the instructions, as I don't have anything to suggest except put it
in a corner.
Wylie Williams

"Mannie Smith" > wrote in message
> What's the best way to match up a subwoofer to an existing pair of 2-way
speakers?

Nousaine
August 14th 03, 03:39 AM
(Mannie Smith) wrote:

>What's the best way to match up a subwoofer to an existing pair of 2-way
>speakers?

An excellent alternative is the X30 electronic crossover from Paradigm. It has
a $160 MSRP the last time I looked. It has a good adjustable lowpass XO; fixed
high pass filter and a fully adjustable phase control (although the latter is
completely overkill.)