PDA

View Full Version : Re: Copying Opera Laserdiscs

John Williams
August 6th 03, 06:39 AM
I think you may find the cost and time investment to copy the Laserdiscs is
going to be prohibitive with questionable results. I would recommend
keeping the Laserdiscs but replacing them, over time, with new DVD
recordings. I think you will be happier with the results and the cost will
be spread over several years.

John Williams

"Thomas Ascher" > wrote in message
> I have over 100 opera laserdiscs that I want to copy to DVD. I'm trying
> find a way of doing while preserving sound quality close to the original
and
> so far failing, not getting much help from the DVD specific newsgroups.
>
> I tried a Philips stand alone DVD recorder and got muted sound, lower in
> volume than the original and lacking in high frequency brilliance. I
> returned the recorder and debating trying another brand or method but not
> getting much help or recommendation from other groups; hoping maybe
someone
> with a "high-end" orientation may have more experience andwilling to
share!

> Thanks!
>
> Tom Ascher

Thomas Ascher
August 6th 03, 04:01 PM
I have been replacing the laserdiscs with DVD's as they become available and
have already replaced over 100 opera, musical and dance LDs. However, still
have a substantial number not available as DVD's. True, techniques
suggested so far would be bothersome and time-consuming. Am looking into
the Pioneer DVR-7000 stand alone DVD recorder which includes a VU type
control of sound recording level as a possible substitute of the Philips 80
which I got rid of as having poor sound. Waiting for feedback from anyone
who has tried the DVR-7000 on sound quality, but no response as yet. Basic
problem is that no DVD recorder has digital input for sound, so some loss in
sound quality unavoidable. May just give up on the whole plan, but awaiting
more info on the Pioneer first!

Tom Ascher