PDA

View Full Version : How to connect "van den Hul" Cable's carbon fibers?

Tim Schulz
August 1st 03, 05:13 PM
Hi,

just bought some vdH CS-122 Hybrid speaker cable but now I wonder
how to connect the cable to the spades?
-should I solder only the metal conductors?
-solder both metal and carbon?
-crimp both?
-crimp only he metal?

Does anyone know about connecting this kind of cable the right way?

Thank you!

Tim

Stewart Pinkerton
August 1st 03, 10:31 PM
On 1 Aug 2003 16:13:54 GMT, (Tim Schulz) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>just bought some vdH CS-122 Hybrid speaker cable but now I wonder
>how to connect the cable to the spades?
>-should I solder only the metal conductors?
>-solder both metal and carbon?
>-crimp both?
>-crimp only he metal?
>
>Does anyone know about connecting this kind of cable the right way?

Swap it for some 12AWG zipcord, which will sound exactly the same, and
will be vastly easier to terminate.

If you really must use that abortion of a cable, then crimp the whole
thing.

Wylie Williams
August 13th 03, 05:33 PM
Tim,
Don't be surprised when you get "all cables are the same so why did
you buy THAT?" responses. It's a strong controversy on RAHE, with the
"wires are all the same" camp being very active. Some people still think
cables make a differnce, but they don't respond nearly so often on RAHE.
.. What surprises me is that you are not asking your dealer this
question. I imagine that the answer from Mr. Pinkerton is right. Now you are
faced with finding out how to do a good crimp commenction. Just squeezing
with a pair of pliers (or whatever is handy) is a suspect method. There are
specialized tools for crimping and your dealer should be able to find out
what is required for your cable.
Wylie Williams

"Stewart Pinkerton" > wrote in message
> On 1 Aug 2003 16:13:54 GMT, (Tim Schulz) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >just bought some vdH CS-122 Hybrid speaker cable but now I wonder
> >how to connect the cable to the spades?
> >-should I solder only the metal conductors?
> >-solder both metal and carbon?
> >-crimp both?
> >-crimp only he metal?
> >
> >Does anyone know about connecting this kind of cable the right way?
>
> Swap it for some 12AWG zipcord, which will sound exactly the same, and
> will be vastly easier to terminate.
>
> If you really must use that abortion of a cable, then crimp the whole
> thing.
> --
>
> Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

Steven Sullivan
August 13th 03, 09:08 PM
Wylie Williams > wrote:
> Tim,
> Don't be surprised when you get "all cables are the same so why did
> you buy THAT?" responses. It's a strong controversy on RAHE, with the
> "wires are all the same" camp being very active. Some people still think
> cables make a differnce, but they don't respond nearly so often on RAHE.

if I may use this opportunty to go off on a tangent with a new rant ;>

Why should they? After all, most other audio forums and publications
tend to ignore the utter lack of good evidence for audible differences
in competently-designed cables...or even *ban* its mention.
True believers have plenty of 'safe spaces' they can retreat to
to have their beliefs encouraged. Reality-checks aren't really what
these people want.

With that in mind, I tip my hat to the few dogged 'believers' who
*are* willing to at least engage the engineering, scientific, and
other skeptical types that RAHE harbors. S888Wheel, Mirabel,
Lavo, etc, if nothign else at least have the cajones to debate
their claims and beliefs against some rather formidably knowledgable
opponents (Mssrs. Pierce, Pinkerton, chung, Kruger, Nousiane, jj et al.).
My experience on other audiophile forums is that the skeptics
are few and far between, and the believers a noisy and numerous rabble
who sometimes will not tolerate their views being dissected rationally
(e..g, the Audiophile Asylum and the Steve Hoffman forum both
specifically forbid discussion of controlled testing, audibility
of differences, and the like).

By contrast, I've yet to see a 'skeptic-friendly' forum that does *not*
tolerate 'true believer' posting. Which they shoudl consider a blessing.
True believers sometimes complain that that skeptics focus too much on
'science', but in fact no scientific forum would ever tolerate repeated
publication of speculative or superstitious claims that are contrary to the
known scientific facts. What little 'science' exists in most audiophile
discussions and publications I see, has been shoehorned in
grudgingly, it seems, and only when it doesn't threaten
the prevailing hobbyist mythologies too much. In the real world of
science, many audiophile claims wouldn't last a minute.

digital
October 19th 07, 07:02 AM
HereHere!

Well put my friend. There are however a few (very few) sites which encourage, nay, demand, that folks who spew "true believer' nonsense stand behind their hyperbole with sound practices and unsighted evaluations.

My own humble little non-profit site: www.cdnav.com and the (much) larger www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php are pretty much the best in class that I've run across on the Internet in several years of searching. Pop into our online list at http://cdnav.com/cdnav/index.php and check out the rowcall of A/V forums I have compiled over the years. Its without a doubt the largest compendium of outrageous banter specific to the topic of A/V available.

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com