PDA

View Full Version : New cartridge time

Paul
July 22nd 03, 06:18 AM
My Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso Boron finally bit the big one. I've had it for
about 12 years, and it has served me well. Set my table up the other day, a
year or so after moving, got the pump running, and finally noticed that the
cantilever was pushed up into the cartridge body. (R.I.P.) Now my dilemna
of course is what to replace it with. I have an Oracle Delphi Mk. 3 with an
Eminent Tech ET2 Air Bearing arm. I have been looking online at the
Clearaudio, and the Benz Micro's around the $750.00 - $1000.00 range, but
haven't really seen much besides price lists. I haven't had a copy of TAS
or Stereophile for a few years now, so I'm not sure what the scoop is on new
stuff. Basically, I'm just looking for some feedback or info on what people
are listening to now. Also, what are the feelings on used or demo
cartridges? Say in the 100 - 300 hour range. This may be able to bump me
up to a nicer cartridge. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ciao',

Paul

S888Wheel
July 22nd 03, 08:44 AM
<<
[...]

I think the Shelter brand of cartridge may have a model that fit's your price
range called the 501. It has been very highly spoken of. i haven't heard it
myself though.

Michael R. Clements
July 26th 03, 08:52 AM
"Paul" > wrote in message
> My Sumiko Talisman Virtuoso Boron finally bit the big one. I've had it
for
> about 12 years, and it has served me well. Set my table up the other
day, a
> year or so after moving, got the pump running, and finally noticed that
the
> cantilever was pushed up into the cartridge body. (R.I.P.) Now my
dilemna
> of course is what to replace it with. I have an Oracle Delphi Mk. 3
with an
> Eminent Tech ET2 Air Bearing arm. I have been looking online at the
> Clearaudio, and the Benz Micro's around the $750.00 - $1000.00 range,
but
> haven't really seen much besides price lists. I haven't had a copy of
TAS
> or Stereophile for a few years now, so I'm not sure what the scoop is on
new
> stuff. Basically, I'm just looking for some feedback or info on what
people
> are listening to now. Also, what are the feelings on used or demo
> cartridges? Say in the 100 - 300 hour range. This may be able to bump
me
> up to a nicer cartridge. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I've been using an Ortofon MC-30 Super Mk II for the past several years.
It's a low output MC in your price range and offers excellent sound
quality. It has a 0.2 mV output level and I run it into 200 pF and 100
ohms, with 68 dB of gain. I like it a lot. Here's more info:
http://www.ortofon.com/html/body_moving_coil_technical_data.html?varenr=13
13051

Mark Pearson
August 8th 03, 05:09 AM
Paul,
You need to provide more information such as how low output of a cartridge
can your system take? If you can run a .65mv cartridge, I would go for a
Van den Hul MC 10. This is an outstanding cartridge and it works well in
the ET-2 tonearm as I used to own one.
Mark