PDA

View Full Version : SACD / DVD-A Surround Sound Basic question

David Andrews
July 16th 03, 05:10 PM
Hi

I have just bought a Pioneer 656A which includes the ability to play
SACD and DVD-Audio. I have a couple of DVD-A disks with both DD51
sound and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo
options.

I also have a hybrid Multi-Channel SACD and a couple of hybrid stereo
SACDs.

My question is when playing the DVD-A in Advanced Resolution Surround
mode or the SACD in Multi-Channel mode, what should I have my amp. set
to?

Should it be set to Pro-Logic? I have a Yamaha DSP A1092. If I turn
the effects (DSP) mode completely off, I am pretty sure it restricts
the sound to the two front speakers.

Hopefully this is a very easy question!!

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

David

Steven Sullivan
July 16th 03, 07:00 PM
David Andrews > wrote:
> Hi

> I have just bought a Pioneer 656A which includes the ability to play
> SACD and DVD-Audio. I have a couple of DVD-A disks with both DD51
> sound and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo
> options.

> I also have a hybrid Multi-Channel SACD and a couple of hybrid stereo
> SACDs.

> My question is when playing the DVD-A in Advanced Resolution Surround
> mode or the SACD in Multi-Channel mode, what should I have my amp. set
> to?

'6 channel analog' or the equivalent. YOur receive has to have a set of 6
analog connectors at the back, in order to play the advanced resolution
multichannel tracks.

> Should it be set to Pro-Logic? I have a Yamaha DSP A1092. If I turn
> the effects (DSP) mode completely off, I am pretty sure it restricts
> the sound to the two front speakers.

Don't use any DSP on the multichannel analog signal. (On most receivers,
you can't anyway).

--
-S.

David Andrews
July 18th 03, 07:09 PM
Steven Sullivan > wrote in message news:<3pgRa.80234$H17.22741@sccrnsc02>...
> David Andrews > wrote:
> > Hi
>
> > I have just bought a Pioneer 656A which includes the ability to play
> > SACD and DVD-Audio. I have a couple of DVD-A disks with both DD51
> > sound and Advanced Resolution Surround and Advanced Resolution Stereo
> > options.
>
> > I also have a hybrid Multi-Channel SACD and a couple of hybrid stereo
> > SACDs.
>
> > My question is when playing the DVD-A in Advanced Resolution Surround
> > mode or the SACD in Multi-Channel mode, what should I have my amp. set
> > to?
>
> '6 channel analog' or the equivalent. YOur receive has to have a set of 6
> analog connectors at the back, in order to play the advanced resolution
> multichannel tracks.
>
> > Should it be set to Pro-Logic? I have a Yamaha DSP A1092. If I turn
> > the effects (DSP) mode completely off, I am pretty sure it restricts
> > the sound to the two front speakers.
>
> Don't use any DSP on the multichannel analog signal. (On most receivers,
> you can't anyway).

Thanks for the quick replies.

Thought I had done something wrong! Now I have it wired up properly
it sounds how it should! Time for me to upgrade the amp. though.

David