PDA

View Full Version : Re: Upgrading ancient 'hi-fi' to include AV - best route on a budget

Will
July 9th 03, 05:04 PM
In article >,
(Richard) wrote:

> I have a fairly old basic hifi setup. Phillips CD player (can't
> remember the model number, its around 11 years old, was well thought
> of at the time), Cyrus One amp which I just love, but the pots are
> getting a bit crackly) and Mission 731s.
> I was happy with this set-up until I decided to finally enter the
> world of AV and buy a DVD player. I have ordered a Toshiba SD330, as
> the reviews are so good. I have read lots of reviews on AV receivers,
> and may well buy a Marantz4300. That will blow my budget for a bit, so
> no cash for speakers (I have a set of B&Ws in the loft though).
> I assume that with one set of speakers for audio and video, you can
> only use one amp, so I have wonder which will be best for CDs - my old
> Cyrus or the Marantz. And then I wonder will I get better CD sound
> from my old Phillips or from the DVD player (all the magazines suggest
> DVDs aren't brilliant at CDs unless you spend a fortune...)
> So, opinions please: which will give the best CD sound quality -
> 1 - my existing setup
> 2 - my phillips CD player + Marantz receiver
> 3 - Toshiba DVD player + my Cyrus 1
> 4 - Toshiba DVD player + Marantz receiver
>
> I can obviously compare options 1 and 3 when I hook up the new DVD,
> but am interested in the group's opinions.

Since the Marantz 4300 has pre-outs, assuming there is a free input on
the Cyrus 1 you can attach the "front" pre-outs of the Mrantz to a line
in on the Cyrus 1, and leave the Missions hooked up to the Cyrus 1 if it
indeed does a better job driving your speakers. At the same time you
can hook the B&W's up to the Marantz's rear speaker outputs and use them
as surrounds, with phantom front and rear centers.

Then you can compare the Philips feeding directly into the Cyrus 1 to
the Toshiba connected to the Marantz's digital input and feed to the
Cyrus by the Marantz's line out. I'm guessing you'll prefer the Toshiba
using the Marantz's D/A converter, but who knows?