PDA

View Full Version : The very best of classical surround stereo - Pollini's Chopin

Harry Lavo
July 5th 03, 05:07 AM
Deutsch Gramophone is not noted for its lifelike engineering, but when it
comes to SACD they are doing something right. Of the several DG's I've
heard, none have been bad and most much better sounding than their stereo cd
versions. Moreover, they seem to be going back to the master tapes and
avoiding all compression. But nothing prepared me for this.

DG's 1976 recording of Maurice Pollini playing Chopin Polonaises is
absolutely stunning. The piano (not indicated) is located on the stage of
the Grosser Saal of the Vienna Musikverein. The ambience in the rear
channels appears to be real, distant ambiance and not a synthetic
reproduction. Moreover, since this is a solo instrument DG's engineers
haven't much chance to muck up the sound with two much multimiking, as is
their want. As a result, the piano is presented as a solid image at a
believable stage distance, with just enough of the outstanding hall
acoustics to give the piano the warm acoustics appropriate to Chopin. This
is far and away one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard, in any
medium. The lower registers in particular combine with the halls acoustics
to stunning effect.

As to the performance, well, Pollini is top-notch and these are beautifully
realized performances. Combined with the exquisite sound, this is a must
have disk for anybody with a SACD player and a multichannel setup. And a
highly recommended one for everybody else (it is a hybrid). Two thumbs up
and five stars on this one.

Harry. Lavo
"it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing" - Duke Ellington

Daniel
July 5th 03, 03:44 PM
"Harry Lavo" > wrote in message news:<rasNa.105989$R73.11620@sccrnsc04>...
> Deutsch Gramophone is not noted for its lifelike engineering, but when it
> comes to SACD they are doing something right. Of the several DG's I've
> heard, none have been bad and most much better sounding than their stereo cd
> versions. Moreover, they seem to be going back to the master tapes and
> avoiding all compression. But nothing prepared me for this.
>
> DG's 1976 recording of Maurice Pollini playing Chopin Polonaises is
> absolutely stunning. The piano (not indicated) is located on the stage of
> the Grosser Saal of the Vienna Musikverein. The ambience in the rear
> channels appears to be real, distant ambiance and not a synthetic
> reproduction. Moreover, since this is a solo instrument DG's engineers
> haven't much chance to muck up the sound with two much multimiking, as is
> their want. As a result, the piano is presented as a solid image at a
> believable stage distance, with just enough of the outstanding hall
> acoustics to give the piano the warm acoustics appropriate to Chopin. This
> is far and away one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard, in any
> medium. The lower registers in particular combine with the halls acoustics
> to stunning effect.
>
> As to the performance, well, Pollini is top-notch and these are beautifully
> realized performances. Combined with the exquisite sound, this is a must
> have disk for anybody with a SACD player and a multichannel setup. And a
> highly recommended one for everybody else (it is a hybrid). Two thumbs up
> and five stars on this one.

What kind of setup do you have, Harry?

Harry Lavo
July 6th 03, 03:15 AM
"Daniel" > wrote in message
> "Harry Lavo" > wrote in message
> > Deutsch Gramophone is not noted for its lifelike engineering, but when
it
> > comes to SACD they are doing something right. Of the several DG's I've
> > heard, none have been bad and most much better sounding than their
stereo cd
> > versions. Moreover, they seem to be going back to the master tapes and
> > avoiding all compression. But nothing prepared me for this.
> >
> > DG's 1976 recording of Maurice Pollini playing Chopin Polonaises is
> > absolutely stunning. The piano (not indicated) is located on the stage
of
> > the Grosser Saal of the Vienna Musikverein. The ambience in the rear
> > channels appears to be real, distant ambiance and not a synthetic
> > reproduction. Moreover, since this is a solo instrument DG's engineers
> > haven't much chance to muck up the sound with two much multimiking, as
is
> > their want. As a result, the piano is presented as a solid image at a
> > believable stage distance, with just enough of the outstanding hall
> > acoustics to give the piano the warm acoustics appropriate to Chopin.
This
> > is far and away one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard, in
any
> > medium. The lower registers in particular combine with the halls
acoustics
> > to stunning effect.
> >
> > As to the performance, well, Pollini is top-notch and these are
beautifully
> > realized performances. Combined with the exquisite sound, this is a
must
> > have disk for anybody with a SACD player and a multichannel setup. And
> > highly recommended one for everybody else (it is a hybrid). Two thumbs
up
> > and five stars on this one.
>
> What kind of setup do you have, Harry?

This is the info I filed with SACDinfo.com:

Five full range surround system; three Thiel 3.5's (center,LR,RR) and two 2
2's (FL,FR) driven by VTL-ST85 (FL,FR) and Audionics CC-2's (other three).
Preamps are ARC 6Brc (Front), Audionics BTa's (other) driven by Sony CS222ES
SACD player, which also feeds AA DTI pro/Proceed PDP combo for redbook.
Tuner is Carver TX-11a. Phono's are Linn LP12/Syrinx PU-2/Accuphase
AC2/Marcoff PPA-2(modified) and Dual 601/Shure M92ED. Tapes are Teac 7030SL
(10", 15ips), Teac 4070 (7" 3.5/7.5ips), Nakamichi CR-1A, Panasonic 3700
DAT. Interconnects are all Monster 1000II; speaker cables are Purist Audio
Water Cables (FL,FR) and RS Megacable 10 gauge (center,rears).

In addition I have an older Fisher KX200, Fisher FM90B, Phillips 880, Dual
701/Dynavector Ruby 23r/Marcoff bedroom system, and Otari MX-12
four-channel, 30ips mastering deck and Ampex 440B 15ips mastering decks,
plus professional mixers, mic preamps, and microphones for the occasional
recording gig.

The 5 channel system is not the ultimate, but I would guess I get about 85%
of ultimate resolution out of it.

Harry Lavo
July 6th 03, 03:32 AM
"Daniel" > wrote in message
> "Harry Lavo" > wrote in message
> > Deutsch Gramophone is not noted for its lifelike engineering, but when
it
> > comes to SACD they are doing something right. Of the several DG's I've
> > heard, none have been bad and most much better sounding than their
stereo cd
> > versions. Moreover, they seem to be going back to the master tapes and
> > avoiding all compression. But nothing prepared me for this.
> >
> > DG's 1976 recording of Maurice Pollini playing Chopin Polonaises is
> > absolutely stunning. The piano (not indicated) is located on the stage
of
> > the Grosser Saal of the Vienna Musikverein. The ambience in the rear
> > channels appears to be real, distant ambiance and not a synthetic
> > reproduction. Moreover, since this is a solo instrument DG's engineers
> > haven't much chance to muck up the sound with two much multimiking, as
is
> > their want. As a result, the piano is presented as a solid image at a
> > believable stage distance, with just enough of the outstanding hall
> > acoustics to give the piano the warm acoustics appropriate to Chopin.
This
> > is far and away one of the best piano recordings I have ever heard, in
any
> > medium. The lower registers in particular combine with the halls
acoustics
> > to stunning effect.
> >
> > As to the performance, well, Pollini is top-notch and these are
beautifully
> > realized performances. Combined with the exquisite sound, this is a
must
> > have disk for anybody with a SACD player and a multichannel setup. And
> > highly recommended one for everybody else (it is a hybrid). Two thumbs
up
> > and five stars on this one.
>
> What kind of setup do you have, Harry?

Forgot to mention that my front speakers are 23deg off center (vs. 30deg ITU
ideal) and that my rear speakers are 10-12deg behind horizontal (vs. 20 deg
ITU ideal). This means the image is slightly narrower and the surround
pulled slightly to the front compared to the ideal, which I can hear if I
lean forward on the couch. However, with slightly lowered volume in the
rears, I get very respectable and continuous surround and better stereo
imaging (which of course outnumbers my multichannels 10:1 at least). A good
sonic compromise, IMO.

Nousaine
July 7th 03, 03:32 AM
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

...snip....

>The 5 channel system is not the ultimate, but I would guess I get about 85%
>of ultimate resolution out of it.

If 5 channels has 85% of the ultimate resolution how much does 2-channel have?

Harry Lavo
July 7th 03, 08:08 PM
"Nousaine" > wrote in message
> "Harry Lavo" wrote:
>
> ..snip....
>
> >The 5 channel system is not the ultimate, but I would guess I get about
85%
> >of ultimate resolution out of it.
>
> If 5 channels has 85% of the ultimate resolution how much does 2-channel
have?

I'm talking about ultimate "see-through" detail in each/any channel, nothing
about the channels themselves. Resolution as typically used by audiophiles.
And no, I'm not getting into another long semantic argument about it.