PDA

View Full Version : Re: anyone tried Monsoon flat-panel speakers?

Kalman Rubinson
June 30th 03, 04:21 PM
On 30 Jun 2003 02:09:06 GMT, "RedLine" > wrote:

>thinking of picking up a pair (either 600's or 1000's) series ...
>
>can anyone comment on how these hold up over time? i was not particularly
>impressed with their top-end response - a little 'muted' - otherwise quite
>impressive.

Review in Stereophile V24/#10.

Kal

RedLine
June 30th 03, 11:53 PM
thanks, but I don't think I'll be subscribing simply to read one review. i
was hoping to hear from everyday users who might have some experience with
them.

"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
> On 30 Jun 2003 02:09:06 GMT, "RedLine" > wrote:
>
> >thinking of picking up a pair (either 600's or 1000's) series ...
> >
> >can anyone comment on how these hold up over time? i was not
particularly
> >impressed with their top-end response - a little 'muted' - otherwise
quite
> >impressive.
>
> Review in Stereophile V24/#10.
>
> Kal

Kalman Rubinson
July 1st 03, 01:20 AM
On 30 Jun 2003 22:53:01 GMT, "RedLine" > wrote:

>thanks, but I don't think I'll be subscribing simply to read one review. i
>was hoping to hear from everyday users who might have some experience with
>them.

I had no knowledge of whether you are a subscriber or not. At one
time, the review was posted on the website and, possibly, Monsoon can
provide a copy if it is unavailable from Stereophile.

Kal

>"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message
>> On 30 Jun 2003 02:09:06 GMT, "RedLine" > wrote:
>>
>> >thinking of picking up a pair (either 600's or 1000's) series ...
>> >
>> >can anyone comment on how these hold up over time? i was not
>particularly
>> >impressed with their top-end response - a little 'muted' - otherwise
>quite
>> >impressive.
>>
>> Review in Stereophile V24/#10.
>>
>> Kal

JCE
July 1st 03, 04:18 PM
"RedLine" > wrote in message >...
> thinking of picking up a pair (either 600's or 1000's) series ...
>
> can anyone comment on how these hold up over time? i was not particularly
> impressed with their top-end response - a little 'muted' - otherwise quite
> impressive.
>
> also any recommendations for retailers?
>
> thanks very much....
>
> Red

A review of the Monsoon FPF1000 can be found at:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/monsoonfpf1000_e.html

Kalman Rubinson
July 1st 03, 04:22 PM
On 30 Jun 2003 22:53:01 GMT, "RedLine" > wrote:

>thanks, but I don't think I'll be subscribing simply to read one review. i
>was hoping to hear from everyday users who might have some experience with
>them.

If your email address would have worked, a copy of the review would
already be there.

Kal

Kalman Rubinson
July 1st 03, 09:46 PM
On 1 Jul 2003 17:04:50 GMT, Kalman Rubinson > wrote:

>On 1 Jul 2003 15:19:28 GMT, "Arny Krueger" > wrote:
>
>>"RedLine" > wrote in message

>>> thinking of picking up a pair (either 600's or 1000's) series ...
>>
>>> can anyone comment on how these hold up over time?
>>
>>There was a problem with the hand-held volume control in early 1000's, which
>>Monsoon solved by replacing it.
>
>Hand-held volume control? For the FPF-1000?

As someone has enlightened me, we may be speaking of different
speakers. The MM-1000 is a powered PC speaker which probably has a
volume control. I was speaking of the FPF-1000 which is a larger
planar for use with standard amplifiers.

Kal

Arny Krueger
July 2nd 03, 03:23 AM
"Kalman Rubinson" > wrote in message

> On 1 Jul 2003 17:04:50 GMT, Kalman Rubinson > wrote:

>>> There was a problem with the hand-held volume control in early
>>> 1000's, which Monsoon solved by replacing it.
>>
>> Hand-held volume control? For the FPF-1000?
>
> As someone has enlightened me, we may be speaking of different
> speakers. The MM-1000 is a powered PC speaker which probably has a
> volume control. I was speaking of the FPF-1000 which is a larger
> planar for use with standard amplifiers.

Right. I would recommend the MM-1000's but I wouldn't recommend the
FPF-1000's.

Nousaine
July 2nd 03, 04:16 AM
Kalman Rubinson wrote:

>On 1 Jul 2003 17:04:50 GMT, Kalman Rubinson > wrote:

>>>There was a problem with the hand-held volume control in early 1000's,
>which
>>>Monsoon solved by replacing it.
>>
>>Hand-held volume control? For the FPF-1000?
>
>As someone has enlightened me, we may be speaking of different
>speakers. The MM-1000 is a powered PC speaker which probably has a
>volume control. I was speaking of the FPF-1000 which is a larger
>planar for use with standard amplifiers.
>
>Kal

That's exactly right. Mr Krueger's comments seemed to be directed to the
MM-1000. I've tested both and the MM-1000 is outstanding while the FPF-1000 is
fairly pedestrian in performance.