PDA

View Full Version : wall mount speakers (help!)

rain
July 22nd 03, 01:23 PM
Hello group,

I am planning to wall mount two 3-way speakers behind the couch that sits
up against the wall that they are mounted on. It seems silly to me to
have the speakers directing straight out with the soundfield being
projected over the listener on the couch's head.

So it seems to me that I should design a way to have the speakers pivot on
a pivot point at the base of the speaker and the wall to direct down
nearer or directly at the listener on the couch. As far as general
information: the room is somewhat small being 11 by 12 feet. The front
speakers are at ear level and on the opposite wall. I am also using a
harmon kardon amp which can set the millasecond delay values on a per
speaker basis. I am also using it mostly for matrix surround sound from a
single stereo source.

What is this going to sound like before I go and build it?

Is this a dumb idea?

Is it going to hurt the sound more with reflections and such than help?

Anything I'm missing?

I really appreciate any input b/c it might be a really good idea or it
might be really silly. What do you guys think?

Brian
deadhead at nc dot rr dot com

psychicteaspoon
July 25th 03, 06:33 PM
"rain" > wrote in message >...
> Hello group,
>
> I am planning to wall mount two 3-way speakers behind the couch that sits
> up against the wall that they are mounted on. It seems silly to me to
> have the speakers directing straight out with the soundfield being
> projected over the listener on the couch's head.
>
> So it seems to me that I should design a way to have the speakers pivot on
> a pivot point at the base of the speaker and the wall to direct down
> nearer or directly at the listener on the couch. As far as general
> information: the room is somewhat small being 11 by 12 feet. The front
> speakers are at ear level and on the opposite wall. I am also using a
> harmon kardon amp which can set the millasecond delay values on a per
> speaker basis. I am also using it mostly for matrix surround sound from a
> single stereo source.
>
> What is this going to sound like before I go and build it?
>
> Is this a dumb idea?
>
> Is it going to hurt the sound more with reflections and such than help?
>
> Anything I'm missing?
>
> I really appreciate any input b/c it might be a really good idea or it
> might be really silly. What do you guys think?
>
> Brian
> deadhead at nc dot rr dot com

Couple of ideas you could experiment with:

Buy a couple of cheap, secondhand speaker stands, and try a few
different positions and heights before going ahead with anything
permanent.

Try the speakers on the floor, in line with the back of the couch -
facing backwards, on their backs facing upwards or facing outwards to
the side walls.
Even postion them facing into the corners, using the reflections to
disperse the sound in to the room.

Basically, rear speakers are used for background and ambient sounds -
they don't need to be aimed directly at the listening target. Check
out the set-up at your nearest cinema - the surround speakers are
normally positioned high up on the wall facing into the middle of the
listening area.

End of the day - go for what sounds best to you, you'll be the one
listening to it.

PT