PDA

View Full Version : Re: Loudness Compensation problem

Mark D. Zacharias
July 20th 03, 08:48 PM
Personally, I wouldn't keep the KR-9600 simply for the following reason. It
uses TA-200W output IC's, long discontinued by Kenwood. When one fails,
which it will, you'll be left with a boat anchor. If you like vintage
receivers, stick with discrete output devices.

Mark Z.

"Fubar1000" > wrote in message
> I recently purchased a Kenwood KR 9600 to upgrade from a 7600 I had
> previously purchased from the same shop,as I like vintage equipment. I was
> impressed with it bit noticed that the loudness switch, even though it has
2
> settings, does not boost the bass nearly as much,even on the highest
> setting, as my 7600 or most other receivers I've listened to.Granted I
have
> small speakers(Infinity RS9's, 6 1/2 inch woofer and small tweeter), but a
> have to use the loudness #2 setting and turn the bass up to about 4 to get
> adequate bass whereas with the 7600 loudness plus about 0 to 2 on the bass
> knob was adequate.I tried a comparison with Grado headphones and the same
FM
> station, and the 7600's loudness definitely has more pronounced boost. I
> would like to find out if this is likely to be a defect or was it designed
> that way for some reason. The shop offers 6 months warranty so I'm not too
> worried, but it's just a hassle to lug it in to them if there's nothing
> wrong.(weighs about 60 pounds !!)
> Also, I havent' turned in the 7600 for my trade-up refund yet, but if I
do,
> I will not be able to do the same with the 9600, should I desire to. So
I'm
> kind of on the fence right now as to whether I should take the trade-in
> refund or treat this as a seperate purchase so I would have the option to
> trade the 9600 up within 6 months. I hear good things about the Pioneer
> "Super-receivers" and might consider one of them later.
> Thanks, Dave Arrabito

Fubar1000
July 20th 03, 11:17 PM
Thanks--I returned it--looking imto a Pioneer SX-1250

hlink.net...