PDA

View Full Version : Re: headphones

Arny Krueger
August 22nd 03, 12:42 PM
"Matthew Fowle" > wrote in message

> i'm looking for some decent headphones. was thinking of grado sr80's,
> but they're a little retro looking for my tastes. i'm also thinking
> their a bit of a staple in good sound quality, and was looking for
> somewhat more of an undiscovered gem i could procure on ebay for
> slightly cheaper, although at no cost to sound quality.

SR60's would seem to fill that bill.

> anyone have suggestions on either (or both!!) of these fronts for
> alternative headphones?

I use the following headphones fairly routinely:

Kloss UR30s closed back, folding - Not badly balanced, pretty good bass, a
big hole in the upper midrange, cheap - use where loss or damage is
probable.

Grado SR 60 closed back - Ugly, uncomfortable but smooth and well-balanced.

Sony EX-70 ear buds - Bright but clean, Very private with good inherent
rejection of outside noises.

Sony MDR 7506 closed back - Bright, strong bass, fairly smooth, the most
popular earphones in the world for recording and audio production

Sennheiser 580 - Now, for something completely different, comfortable and
very smooth

> just for amusement value, what would be the next step up in sound
> quality from grado sr-80's? (grado or non). i'd be willing to invest
> more if it gave worthwhile returns.

I don't know if is a step up in sound, but the 7506s would definitely be a
step up in terms of comfort and appearance, not that they are perfect in
this regard.

If Grado ever made 60s and/or 80s that were more comfortable without
add-ons, and looked more professional like the 7506s, they'd probably sell a
million of 'em.

Robert Morein
August 22nd 03, 05:29 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Matthew Fowle" > wrote in message
>

> > i'm looking for some decent headphones. was thinking of grado sr80's,
> > but they're a little retro looking for my tastes. i'm also thinking
> > their a bit of a staple in good sound quality, and was looking for
> > somewhat more of an undiscovered gem i could procure on ebay for
> > slightly cheaper, although at no cost to sound quality.
>
> SR60's would seem to fill that bill.
>
> > anyone have suggestions on either (or both!!) of these fronts for
> > alternative headphones?
>
> I use the following headphones fairly routinely:
>
> Kloss UR30s closed back, folding - Not badly balanced, pretty good bass, a
> big hole in the upper midrange, cheap - use where loss or damage is
> probable.
>
> Grado SR 60 closed back - Ugly, uncomfortable but smooth and
well-balanced.

> Sony EX-70 ear buds - Bright but clean, Very private with good inherent
> rejection of outside noises.
>
> Sony MDR 7506 closed back - Bright, strong bass, fairly smooth, the most
> popular earphones in the world for recording and audio production
>
> Sennheiser 580 - Now, for something completely different, comfortable and
> very smooth

The 580's are an excellent choice.
And in the stratosphere of quality, taste, and price, there's Stax.