PDA

View Full Version : Re: sound card recommendation

Arny Krueger
August 22nd 03, 12:20 PM
"Ken Bouchard" > wrote in message
et
> any recommendations on a good sound card under $100 with decent "line
> in" characteristics?

For that price you're stuck with a *consumer* line-in, ca. 1 volt RMS
maximum input, unbalanced, 16 bits.

The good news is that you can get 4 such inputs (2 stereo pairs) for about
$60 with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

If you check my tect tests
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/santa_cruz/index.htm you'll see that the
Santa Cruz is not a SOTA masterpiece, but it is uncolored and the noise
level is manageable for most practical applications if care is taken with
the level setting. You can listen to how looping musical sounds through a
Santa Cruz colors them by downloading files from
http://64.41.69.21/product/santa_cruz/index.htm .

Let your ears (and pocket book) be your guide!

;-)

Ken Bouchard
August 23rd 03, 03:36 AM
OK, Arny, gotcha, the Santa Cruz looks good according to your review so I'll
get one.
Now for sort of a general question: Are there any measurements one can look
at with a simple VOM, or do you need a good DVM? (like maybe the level of
the signal going into your "line in")
I'm asking because even my "cheapo" VOM has a dB scale.

thanks, ken

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Ken Bouchard" > wrote in message
> et
> > any recommendations on a good sound card under $100 with decent "line
> > in" characteristics?
>
> For that price you're stuck with a *consumer* line-in, ca. 1 volt RMS
> maximum input, unbalanced, 16 bits.
>
> The good news is that you can get 4 such inputs (2 stereo pairs) for about
> $60 with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
>
> If you check my tect tests
> http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/santa_cruz/index.htm you'll see that
the
> Santa Cruz is not a SOTA masterpiece, but it is uncolored and the noise
> level is manageable for most practical applications if care is taken with
> the level setting. You can listen to how looping musical sounds through a
> Santa Cruz colors them by downloading files from
> http://64.41.69.21/product/santa_cruz/index.htm .
>
> Let your ears (and pocket book) be your guide!
>
> ;-)

Arny Krueger
August 23rd 03, 10:51 AM
"Ken Bouchard" > wrote in message
et

> OK, Arny, gotcha, the Santa Cruz looks good according to your review
> so I'll get one.

> Now for sort of a general question: Are there any measurements one
> can look at with a simple VOM, or do you need a good DVM? (like maybe
> the level of the signal going into your "line in")
> I'm asking because even my "cheapo" VOM has a dB scale.

IME a cheap analog meter is often better for audio than a cheap digital
meter.

As you point out, the cheap analog meter generally has a dB scale, which has
some value.

IME no cheap meter has good frequency response up to 20 KHz, but the analog
meter probably has better frequency response than the digital meter.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I find it easier to relate to relative
indications on an analog scale - that's probably why so many digital meters
have an analog-like bar graph as part of their display.

My last analog meter broke about 20 years ago, and I miss it. It wasn't
cheap, and I got a lot of good out of it.