PDA

View Full Version : Center or Sub? That is the question.

ChewPick
August 18th 03, 06:57 PM
I just purchased a set of mains(Infinity Alpha 40's) and a
receiver(Yamaha 5650)

Anyway, I have a limited budget to add another component on for
upgrading my movie watching experience. I am trying to decide on a
Center channel or a Sub.

Any opinins on which would be then next best purchase?

Arny Krueger
August 18th 03, 07:02 PM
"ChewPick" > wrote in message
om
> I just purchased a set of mains(Infinity Alpha 40's) and a
> receiver(Yamaha 5650)
>
> Anyway, I have a limited budget to add another component on for
> upgrading my movie watching experience. I am trying to decide on a
> Center channel or a Sub.
>
> Any opinins on which would be then next best purchase?

Sub.

Two 6.5 inch drivers beats one, but can't come close to a well-designed 12
or 15.

Nousaine
August 19th 03, 06:37 AM
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

>"ChewPick" > wrote in message
om
>> I just purchased a set of mains(Infinity Alpha 40's) and a
>> receiver(Yamaha 5650)
>>
>> Anyway, I have a limited budget to add another component on for
>> upgrading my movie watching experience. I am trying to decide on a
>> Center channel or a Sub.
>>
>> Any opinins on which would be then next best purchase?
>
>Sub.
>
>Two 6.5 inch drivers beats one, but can't come close to a well-designed 12
>or 15.

I'm thinking the best answer to this question requires some investigation. If
you need off-axis listening accomodation a center channel should be your next
move.

Otherwise I agree with Arny.

George M. Middius
August 19th 03, 10:25 AM
Nousiane said:

> Otherwise I agree with Arny.

On everything, or just on the rights of little kids?

ChewPick
August 19th 03, 01:25 PM
Alex Rodriguez > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> says...
> >I just purchased a set of mains(Infinity Alpha 40's) and a
> >receiver(Yamaha 5650)
> >Anyway, I have a limited budget to add another component on for
> >upgrading my movie watching experience. I am trying to decide on a
> >Center channel or a Sub.
>
> Can your reciever do a phantom center channel? If yes, try it and see how
> it works. If it works well, get the sub first. If no phantom center, or
> it doesn't sound very good, get the center first.
> -----------------
> Alex __O
> _-\<,_
> (_)/ (_)

Well, I believe it can do the phantom center channel...but I'm going
to have to double check. I seem to remember setting it to that.
Right now i'm kind of leaning towards a center channel just because I
can't always make out conversations in movies without having the
volume really loud. If that phantom center channel is available and
it clears up that problem, then I'll probably go with the sub because
you just can't beat the rumble.

Arny Krueger
August 19th 03, 04:02 PM
"Nousaine" > wrote in message

> "Arny Krueger" wrote:
>

>> "ChewPick" > wrote in message
>> om
>>> I just purchased a set of mains(Infinity Alpha 40's) and a
>>> receiver(Yamaha 5650)
>>>
>>> Anyway, I have a limited budget to add another component on for
>>> upgrading my movie watching experience. I am trying to decide on a
>>> Center channel or a Sub.
>>>
>>> Any opinins on which would be then next best purchase?
>>
>> Sub.
>>
>> Two 6.5 inch drivers beats one, but can't come close to a
>> well-designed 12 or 15.

> I'm thinking the best answer to this question requires some
> investigation. If you need off-axis listening accommodation a center
> channel should be your next move.

I flipped a coin and it came up "Off-center listening is a less frequent
requirement".

;-)

> Otherwise I agree with Arny.

OK.