PDA

View Full Version : Denon 1804 vs Onkyo SR601

Karthik
August 16th 03, 09:32 PM
Both are similarly priced at Crutchfield. Any recommendations which to
choose. On an avg how does Denon compare with Onkyo/HK. I am considering
these as they are the most easily available (CC, 6Ave etc)

Thanks
Karthik

George Mann
August 17th 03, 03:21 PM
[posted and mailed]

"Karthik" > wrote in
:

> Both are similarly priced at Crutchfield. Any recommendations which to
> choose. On an avg how does Denon compare with Onkyo/HK. I am considering
> these as they are the most easily available (CC, 6Ave etc)
>
> Thanks
> Karthik

The HK's are far and away the best. But you will want to make sure that the
models you are interested in don't exhibit any high frequency problems.
They take 100 hours of burn-in to sound their best.

Mark D. Zacharias
August 17th 03, 07:23 PM
With respect, I'd personally stay away from HK. Made-in-China junk, looks
like the same vendor as RCA home theater stuff. Yick.

Mark Z.

"George Mann" > wrote in message
> [posted and mailed]
>
> "Karthik" > wrote in
> :
>
> > Both are similarly priced at Crutchfield. Any recommendations which to
> > choose. On an avg how does Denon compare with Onkyo/HK. I am considering
> > these as they are the most easily available (CC, 6Ave etc)
> >
> > Thanks
> > Karthik
> >

> The HK's are far and away the best. But you will want to make sure that
the
> models you are interested in don't exhibit any high frequency problems.
> They take 100 hours of burn-in to sound their best.

Karthik
August 19th 03, 09:40 PM
and how about Onkyo and Denon?
Thanks
Karthik

"Mark D. Zacharias" > wrote in message et>...
> With respect, I'd personally stay away from HK. Made-in-China junk, looks
> like the same vendor as RCA home theater stuff. Yick.
>
> Mark Z.
>

> "George Mann" > wrote in message
> > [posted and mailed]
> >
> > "Karthik" > wrote in
> > :
> >
> > > Both are similarly priced at Crutchfield. Any recommendations which to
> > > choose. On an avg how does Denon compare with Onkyo/HK. I am considering
> > > these as they are the most easily available (CC, 6Ave etc)
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Karthik
> > >

> > The HK's are far and away the best. But you will want to make sure that
> the
> > models you are interested in don't exhibit any high frequency problems.
> > They take 100 hours of burn-in to sound their best.

George Mann
August 19th 03, 11:59 PM
(Karthik) wrote in
om:

> and how about Onkyo and Denon?
> Thanks
> Karthik
>
> "Mark D. Zacharias" > wrote in message
> et>...
>> With respect, I'd personally stay away from HK. Made-in-China junk,
>> looks like the same vendor as RCA home theater stuff. Yick.
>>
>> Mark Z.
>>

>> "George Mann" > wrote in message
>> > [posted and mailed]
>> >
>> > "Karthik" > wrote in
>> > :

>> > The HK's are far and away the best. But you will want to make sure
>> > that
>> the
>> > models you are interested in don't exhibit any high frequency
>> > problems. They take 100 hours of burn-in to sound their best.

The latest HK's are anything but junk! They also appear to be free of
the high frequency problems that the past models exhibited.

Its your ears and your money.

Mark D. Zacharias
August 20th 03, 10:48 AM
Haven't seen the latest, but I'd lean toward the Denon.

Mark Z.

"Karthik" > wrote in message
om...
> and how about Onkyo and Denon?
> Thanks
> Karthik
>
> "Mark D. Zacharias" > wrote in message
et>...
> > With respect, I'd personally stay away from HK. Made-in-China junk,
looks
> > like the same vendor as RCA home theater stuff. Yick.
> >
> > Mark Z.
> >

> > "George Mann" > wrote in message
> > > [posted and mailed]
> > >
> > > "Karthik" > wrote in
> > > :

> > > The HK's are far and away the best. But you will want to make sure
that
> > the
> > > models you are interested in don't exhibit any high frequency
problems.
> > > They take 100 hours of burn-in to sound their best.

Mark D. Zacharias
August 20th 03, 10:50 AM
Try fixing one sometime. I'm not kidding when I say they're very similar
inside to the RCA home theater stuff. Disposable junk. The poor quality
isn't just aesthetic - the DSP boards die like flies due to poor physical
quality of the soldering and feedthrough connections.