PDA

View Full Version : Re: digital audio shortage

Kalman Rubinson
August 15th 03, 06:17 PM
A 75ohm video switcher will work just fine. Start at RS where they
have manual and remote-controlled switches.

Kal

On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
Franklin) wrote:

>Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital system.
>Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon need four
>digital audio ports on my processor but it only has three. I'd like to
>find something that can be an outboard switcher. They make these for
>line sources and for speakers. Also for audio-video sources. Does
>anybody know if there's one for coaxial digital sources?
>
>If there isn't one available, I see two choices. The first one is to
>get a cheap receiver and use it to switch two or three of the cables.
>The 2 drawbacks to that idea it adds a whole nother box to my system,
>and the sound quality may be affected badly.
>
>The second one is to go shopping for an upgrade to my processor. I
>haven't done any research yet so I don't know what's available. I can
>get away with spending only a couple hundred max. If I sell my current
>one, it's worth about $250.
>
>Suggestions welcome.
>
>Phil

Philip Franklin
August 16th 03, 12:40 PM
Kalman Rubinson > wrote in message >...
> A 75ohm video switcher will work just fine. Start at RS where they
> have manual and remote-controlled switches.
>
> Kal
>
> On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
> Franklin) wrote:
>
> >Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital system.
> >Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon need four
> >digital audio ports on my processor but it only has three. I'd like to
> >find something that can be an outboard switcher. They make these for
> >line sources and for speakers. Also for audio-video sources. Does
> >anybody know if there's one for coaxial digital sources?
> >
> >If there isn't one available, I see two choices. The first one is to
> >get a cheap receiver and use it to switch two or three of the cables.
> >The 2 drawbacks to that idea it adds a whole nother box to my system,
> >and the sound quality may be affected badly.
> >
> >The second one is to go shopping for an upgrade to my processor. I
> >haven't done any research yet so I don't know what's available. I can
> >get away with spending only a couple hundred max. If I sell my current
> >one, it's worth about $250.
> >
> >Suggestions welcome.
> >
> >Phil

Hi Kal. Took me a while to figure out what happened on this post. I
saw you had made a reply but I couldn't see it at first.

I'm using your advice about a video switcher. I've learned a little
more and that's a pretty clever idea. At least if the signal goes
through all those switches without losing too much integrity.

Anyway.... I'm not too fond of radio Shack. So I probably won't go
there. I did see a number of nice ones on ebay though. Any advice on
buying a used one thru ebay? My sister in law is a veteran and she
gave me some guidlines.

Phil

Kalman Rubinson
August 16th 03, 03:05 PM
On 16 Aug 2003 04:40:34 -0700, (Philip
Franklin) wrote:

>Hi Kal. Took me a while to figure out what happened on this post. I
>saw you had made a reply but I couldn't see it at first.
>
>I'm using your advice about a video switcher. I've learned a little
>more and that's a pretty clever idea. At least if the signal goes
>through all those switches without losing too much integrity.
>
>Anyway.... I'm not too fond of radio Shack. So I probably won't go
>there. I did see a number of nice ones on ebay though. Any advice on
>buying a used one thru ebay? My sister in law is a veteran and she
>gave me some guidlines.

I cannot imagine someone trusting unnamed eBay sources more than RS.
RS stuff may be relatively cheap but it usually works as advertised
and is returnable if it does not. I have no other suggestions.

Kal

Philip Franklin
August 18th 03, 09:29 PM
Kalman Rubinson > wrote in message >...
> On 16 Aug 2003 04:40:34 -0700, (Philip
> Franklin) wrote:
>
> >Hi Kal. Took me a while to figure out what happened on this post. I
> >saw you had made a reply but I couldn't see it at first.
> >
> >I'm using your advice about a video switcher. I've learned a little
> >more and that's a pretty clever idea. At least if the signal goes
> >through all those switches without losing too much integrity.
> >
> >Anyway.... I'm not too fond of radio Shack. So I probably won't go
> >there. I did see a number of nice ones on ebay though. Any advice on
> >buying a used one thru ebay? My sister in law is a veteran and she
> >gave me some guidlines.
>
> I cannot imagine someone trusting unnamed eBay sources more than RS.
> RS stuff may be relatively cheap but it usually works as advertised
> and is returnable if it does not. I have no other suggestions.
>
> Kal

It's not the brand that bothers me. I'd certainly buy a used one from RS.

Phil

P.S. That asshole Krueger is trying to show you up on this topic.