PDA

View Full Version : Re: digital audio shortage

Clive Backham
August 15th 03, 08:53 AM
On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
Franklin) wrote:

>Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital system.
>Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon need four
>digital audio ports on my processor but it only has three. I'd like to
>find something that can be an outboard switcher. They make these for
>line sources and for speakers. Also for audio-video sources. Does
>anybody know if there's one for coaxial digital sources?

Are these SPDIF signals running over cables with phono plugs? If they
are, and the runs are not too long, then any passive switching box
intended for line level analogue signals will probably be fine. SPDIF
is pretty robust.

Robert Morein
August 15th 03, 04:23 PM
"Clive Backham" > wrote in message
> On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
> Franklin) wrote:
>
> >Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital system.
> >Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon need four
> >digital audio ports on my processor but it only has three. I'd like to
> >find something that can be an outboard switcher. They make these for
> >line sources and for speakers. Also for audio-video sources. Does
> >anybody know if there's one for coaxial digital sources?
>
> Are these SPDIF signals running over cables with phono plugs? If they
> are, and the runs are not too long, then any passive switching box
> intended for line level analogue signals will probably be fine. SPDIF
> is pretty robust.

I don't think so. SPDIF is actually pretty delicate.

A better choice would be a TV antenna switch box. These come with F
connectors, but Radio Shack has adaptors to phono.

Philip Franklin
August 16th 03, 12:42 PM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message >...
> "Clive Backham" > wrote in message
> > On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
> > Franklin) wrote:
> >
> > >Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital system.
> > >Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon need four
> > >digital audio ports on my processor but it only has three. I'd like to
> > >find something that can be an outboard switcher. They make these for
> > >line sources and for speakers. Also for audio-video sources. Does
> > >anybody know if there's one for coaxial digital sources?
> >
> > Are these SPDIF signals running over cables with phono plugs? If they
> > are, and the runs are not too long, then any passive switching box
> > intended for line level analogue signals will probably be fine. SPDIF
> > is pretty robust.
>
> I don't think so. SPDIF is actually pretty delicate.
>
> A better choice would be a TV antenna switch box. These come with F
> connectors, but Radio Shack has adaptors to phono.

That sounds like a neat idea. I already have a little a-b switch I got
from the cable co. But I can't find those adapters you're thinking of,
at least not on the mail-order side of Radio Shack. Maybe it's
idscontinued?

Phil

Arny Krueger
August 16th 03, 02:39 PM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> "Clive Backham" > wrote in message
>> On 14 Aug 2003 14:57:17 -0700, (Philip
>> Franklin) wrote:
>>
>>> Hey guys, I have a quandary. I'm converting to an all-digital
>>> system. Really a mostly digital system, but anyway. I will soon
>>> need four digital audio ports on my processor but it only has
>>> three. I'd like to find something that can be an outboard switcher.
>>> They make these for line sources and for speakers. Also for
>>> audio-video sources. Does anybody know if there's one for coaxial
>>> digital sources?
>>
>> Are these SPDIF signals running over cables with phono plugs? If they
>> are, and the runs are not too long, then any passive switching box
>> intended for line level analogue signals will probably be fine. SPDIF
>> is pretty robust.

> I don't think so.

I think so.

>SPDIF is actually pretty delicate.

SPDIF is pretty robust for the kind of short lines found in home audio
systems.

> A better choice would be a TV antenna switch box. These come with F
> connectors, but Radio Shack has adaptors to phono.

The best choice is a video switching box, which typically comes with RCA
connectors. NTSC video and SPDIF are similar signals in terms of bandwidth,
and that's what will matter the most here.

Clive Backham
August 18th 03, 09:15 AM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:39:14 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

>> "Clive Backham" > wrote in message
>>> Are these SPDIF signals running over cables with phono plugs? If they
>>> are, and the runs are not too long, then any passive switching box
>>> intended for line level analogue signals will probably be fine. SPDIF
>>> is pretty robust.
>
>> I don't think so.
>
>I think so.
>
>>SPDIF is actually pretty delicate.
>
>SPDIF is pretty robust for the kind of short lines found in home audio
>systems.

Thanks for the backup, Arny. I've run SPDIF over 40ft of random COAX
cable (impedance unknown), then via a no-name passive switchbox
(unscreened) and on to a Zefiro SPDIF card without any problems at
all.

>> A better choice would be a TV antenna switch box. These come with F
>> connectors, but Radio Shack has adaptors to phono.
>
>The best choice is a video switching box, which typically comes with RCA
>connectors. NTSC video and SPDIF are similar signals in terms of bandwidth,
>and that's what will matter the most here.

Agreed, a video switchbox is the best solution for the home.

I guess I was trying to point out that people are unduly concerned
about protecting SPDIF signals when they are quite able to look after
themselves.

Philip Franklin
August 18th 03, 09:26 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...

[BIG SNIP]

Mr. Krueger, I thought I had made my feelings plain about you and your
****ty "audio opinions". Obviously I was right about you, because all
you've done in this topic is repeat the advice given by a
knowledgeable person.

WIll you please shut your filthy gob and go **** off? Thanks very much
for your cooperation, Mr. Chronic Liar.

Phil

Arny Krueger
August 18th 03, 10:17 PM
"Philip Franklin" > wrote in message
om

>>>SPDIF is actually pretty delicate.

>>SPDIF is pretty robust for the kind of short lines found in home audio
systems.

>>> A better choice would be a TV antenna switch box. These come with F
>>> connectors, but Radio Shack has adaptors to phono.

>> The best choice is a video switching box, which typically comes with RCA
>> connectors. NTSC video and SPDIF are similar signals in terms of
bandwidth,
>> and that's what will matter the most here.

> Mr. Krueger, I thought I had made my feelings plain about you and your
> ****ty "audio opinions".

Tender ego, I see.

>Obviously I was right about you, because all
> you've done in this topic is repeat the advice given by a
> knowledgeable person.

Can't read very well, can you Franklin? I contradicted you on two important
points.

(1) Franklin said that SP/DIF was delicate and Krueger responded that it is
pretty robust over short distances of the kind found in home audio systems.

(2) Franklin recommended a TV antenna switch box which he noted came with
the wrong kind of connectors. Krueger responded that video switching boxes
came with the right kind of connectors, and added that video and SP/DIF are
similar enough that what works well for one will probably work well with the
other.

> Will you please shut your filthy gob and go **** off?

Franklin I would have said nothing, had you not screwed up these two
critical points.

>Thanks very much

Any time, and BTW have a very nice day!
> for your cooperation, Mr. Chronic Liar.
>
> Phil

Philip Franklin
August 19th 03, 03:49 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...
> "Philip Franklin" > wrote in message
> om

> >>SPDIF is pretty robust for the kind of short lines found in home audio
> systems.

> >> The best choice is a video switching box, which typically comes with RCA
> >> connectors. NTSC video and SPDIF are similar signals in terms of
> bandwidth,
> >> and that's what will matter the most here.
>
> > Mr. Krueger, I thought I had made my feelings plain about you and your
> > ****ty "audio opinions".
>
> Tender ego, I see.

What the **** are you babbling about? Everybody else says you're a
piece of crap, and this kind of foolishness is just what they mean.

> >Obviously I was right about you, because all
> > you've done in this topic is repeat the advice given by a
> > knowledgeable person.
>
> Can't read very well, can you Franklin? I contradicted you on two important
> points.
>
> (1) Franklin said that SP/DIF was delicate and Krueger responded that it is
> pretty robust over short distances of the kind found in home audio systems.

You ****ing moron, I didn't say any such thing. Can you even read what
is right in front of your disgusting face, you twisted lying pervert?

> (2) Franklin recommended a TV antenna switch box which he noted came with
> the wrong kind of connectors.

Again, you monstrous retard, I said no such thing.

Krueger responded that video switching boxes
> came with the right kind of connectors, and added that video and SP/DIF are
> similar enough that what works well for one will probably work well with the
> other.
>
> > Will you please shut your filthy gob and go **** off?
>
> Franklin I would have said nothing, had you not screwed up these two
> critical points.

You are ****ed in the head, Krueger. First you got everything
ass-backward. Then I called you on your sleazy copycat act. Then you
lied about what I said. Then you repeated the same lie. A normal human
being would be ashamed to exhibit retarded behavior like this, but you
enjoy every moment of it.

> >Thanks very much
>
> Any time, and BTW have a very nice day!
> > for your cooperation, Mr. Chronic Liar.

Who did you say is "stalking" you this month, pedophile? I want to
sweeten the pot. I'm throwing in a grand for anybody who can persuade
Kreuger to blow his head off.