PDA

View Full Version : digital audio output & old adcom amp....upgrade necessary?

geo. smiley
August 12th 03, 04:05 AM
I have an Adcom GFA 545 amp and GTP 500 tuner/preamp and recently
purchased a multipurpose panasonic dvd/cd player/changer (f85) that
has special digital audio output line. It appears that my preamp
predates the digital output age - and there is no digital output.
Must I upgrade in some way to take advantage of the digital output and
(presumably) more detailed sound of the dvd/cd unit? Perhaps there's
an "adapter" or something that I could use alternatively. In the
meantime, i'm just using the standard hook up and the sound seems
quite good anyway.

I'm still in the 2 channel stereo speaker world -- not convinced more
is necessarily better.....

If I understand correctly, the 192kHz sound quality from the unit's
24-bit DAC can only be obtained if the optical digital output is used.
Perhaps I'm wrong about that though. Thanks for any help/advice you
can offer.

Kalman Rubinson
August 12th 03, 04:15 PM
On 11 Aug 2003 20:05:57 -0700, (geo. smiley)
wrote:

>If I understand correctly, the 192kHz sound quality from the unit's
>24-bit DAC can only be obtained if the optical digital output is used.
> Perhaps I'm wrong about that though. Thanks for any help/advice you
>can offer.

Nope. The digital output will not make use of the in-built DAC nor
will it carry all the hi-rez output. Use the analog outs to your
Adcoms and set up the system for two channel default using the menus,

Kal