PDA

View Full Version : Proper cooling conditions for the amplifier

Wojtas G.
August 12th 03, 01:05 AM
I'm going to buy a new shelf unit for my audio set and I'm not sure that
this one will ensure proper cooling conditions for my amplifier.
The max spacing between the top of the ampifier and the shelf above will be
about 1,5 cm (0,6"). The rear and both sides of the shelf unit are open so
the amplifier will have a lot of space around itself. The amplifier's power
is 6x75W RMS and the nominal power is 290W.

Will these conditions be good enough to ensure proper air circulation and
cooling of my amplifier?

Rgrds,
Wojtas

Arny Krueger
August 12th 03, 04:43 PM
"Wojtas G." > wrote in message

> I'm going to buy a new shelf unit for my audio set and I'm not sure
> that this one will ensure proper cooling conditions for my amplifier.
> The max spacing between the top of the ampifier and the shelf above
> will be about 1,5 cm (0,6"). The rear and both sides of the shelf
> unit are open so the amplifier will have a lot of space around
> itself. The amplifier's power is 6x75W RMS and the nominal power is
> 290W.
>
> Will these conditions be good enough to ensure proper air circulation
> and cooling of my amplifier?

Nobody can tell from what is provided here.

The speakers you use, and the power levels (i.e., sizze of room, speaker
efficiency and personal tastes in loudness) and type of music figure into
estimates like this.

A Trevor pointed out, the type of cooling in the amp, whether convection or
fan-induced also matters.

Rule of thumb is leave 2-4" around a power amp on a shelf.