PDA

View Full Version : The Death of Vinyl?

Marc Phillips
August 11th 03, 09:29 PM
I just had an editor of mine send this article to me:

It'll be interesting to see if this player revolutionizes the DJ market. It'll
also be interesting to see how well vinyl survives, so that Arny can finally
shut up about how turntablists are keeping the format alive.

BTW, I went to a wedding this weekend, and the DJ used a laptop for everything.
I actually found this quite interesting.

Boon

Marc Phillips
August 11th 03, 11:38 PM
Paul said:

(Marc Phillips) wrote:

>>I just had an editor of mine send this article to me:
>>
>>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3128653.stm
>>
>>It'll be interesting to see if this player revolutionizes the DJ market.
>It'll
>>also be interesting to see how well vinyl survives, so that Arny can finally
>>shut up about how turntablists are keeping the format alive.
>>
>>BTW, I went to a wedding this weekend, and the DJ used a laptop for
>everything.
>> I actually found this quite interesting.
>
>They make it sound revolutionary, it's not. Computers with dedicated
>hardware interfaces have been around for a while now that do the same
>thing. A minority of DJ's use them, but check out the top names. How
>many of them use CD or MP3?? Bollock all. Norman Cook wouldn't touch
>it with yours!!
>
>DJ's adore vinyl because 1) it's tactile 2) they like the sound. A
>needle running the groove on a 10 kilowatt PA rig shifts some ****ing
>air, whether theres some sound in there or not. That's part of what
>gets the crowd into a frenzy. Goose bumps like you get at home when
>you drop the needle, multipled tenfold..

Well said. I think I'll pass your comments on to my editor, if you don't mind!

Marc