PDA

View Full Version : DIY line speaker level to RCA

Bernard Durand
August 10th 03, 01:37 PM
I have an extra subwoofer whom I would like to lend to a friend,
unfortunately this friend's receiver, being an older Yamaha; does not have a
sub out. Needless to say, the only mean of connecting the Servo 15 is by
using an RCA. I am looking for an easy DIY project to convert the signal
from speaker level to RCA.

Thank you for help.

Regards

Bernard

Bernard Durand
August 10th 03, 05:25 PM
Thank you kindly Arny for the information.

Regards

Bernard
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Bernard Durand" > wrote in message
>
> > I have an extra subwoofer whom I would like to lend to a friend,
> > unfortunately this friend's receiver, being an older Yamaha; does not
> > have a sub out. Needless to say, the only mean of connecting the
> > Servo 15 is by using an RCA. I am looking for an easy DIY project to
> > convert the signal from speaker level to RCA.
>
> Products that do this are common in stores that cater to car stereo.
>
> http://www.thevideodoctor.com/pages/HSHL-2.htm
>
> http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/line-converters.htm
>
> http://www.circuits2u.com/pages/AUDSPKCNV.htm
>
> http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

Arny Krueger
August 11th 03, 12:42 PM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> "Bernard Durand" > wrote in message

>> I have an extra subwoofer whom I would like to lend to a friend,
>> unfortunately this friend's receiver, being an older Yamaha; does
>> not have a sub out. Needless to say, the only mean of connecting the
>> Servo 15 is by using an RCA. I am looking for an easy DIY project to
>> convert the signal from speaker level to RCA.

>> Thank you for help.

>> Regards
>>
>> Bernard
>>
> I suggest you run it from the tape out or pre out.

> It will be cleaner.

Finding a line out whose volume tracks the regular speakers will be quite a
challenge.

Receivers with preamp outputs are in the minority. Surround receivers with a
line level subwoofer output is easy.

Robert Morein
August 11th 03, 12:51 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message
>
> > "Bernard Durand" > wrote in message
>
> >> I have an extra subwoofer whom I would like to lend to a friend,
> >> unfortunately this friend's receiver, being an older Yamaha; does
> >> not have a sub out. Needless to say, the only mean of connecting the
> >> Servo 15 is by using an RCA. I am looking for an easy DIY project to
> >> convert the signal from speaker level to RCA.
>
> >> Thank you for help.
>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Bernard
> >>
> > I suggest you run it from the tape out or pre out.
>
> > It will be cleaner.
>
> Finding a line out whose volume tracks the regular speakers will be quite
> challenge.

Good point.

> Receivers with preamp outputs are in the minority. Surround receivers with
> line level subwoofer output is easy.

Preamp outs became available before subwoofer outs. It's worth a look.

Arny Krueger
August 11th 03, 01:37 PM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> "Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

>>> I suggest you run it from the tape out or pre out.
>>
>>> It will be cleaner.
>>
>> Finding a line out whose volume tracks the regular speakers will be
>> quite a challenge.
>>
> Good point.
>
>> Receivers with preamp outputs are in the minority. Surround
>> receivers with a line level subwoofer output is easy.
>>
> Preamp outs became available before subwoofer outs. It's worth a look.

Bernard Durand is an old-timer. His first rec.audio.* post dates to 1996.
I'll bet money he looked for preamp outs before he made his initial post.

Bernard
August 12th 03, 03:40 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> >> Finding a line out whose volume tracks the regular speakers will be
> >> quite a challenge.
> >>
> > Good point.
> >
> >> Receivers with preamp outputs are in the minority. Surround
> >> receivers with a line level subwoofer output is easy.
> >>
> > Preamp outs became available before subwoofer outs. It's worth a look.
>
> Bernard Durand is an old-timer. His first rec.audio.* post dates to 1996.
> I'll bet money he looked for preamp outs before he made his initial post.

LMFHO

You are right Arny, I did check on the rear of my friend's 15 years old
Yamaha receiver to see if there was a sub/mono out. Again thank you for the
answer to my problem. I honestly cannot say that I would have thought about
car audio for my solution; as I do not care to have a decent sound system in
my car and therefore I do not follow the evolution of car audio.

Cheers

Bernard