PDA

View Full Version : Single driver sub has more Watts than two drivers ones?

HONG KONGer
August 3rd 03, 09:51 AM
I saw a subwoofer only has a single driver in it but its Watt on the spec is
bigger than a two active driver sub. All these three drivers are 8 inches.
Why's that?

Arny Krueger
August 3rd 03, 10:01 AM
"HONG KONGer" > wrote in message

> I saw a subwoofer only has a single driver in it but its Watt on the
> spec is bigger than a two active driver sub. All these three drivers
> are 8 inches. Why's that?

Only the person who designed it would know for sure. You really don't care
how many watts a powered subwoofer has, you only care about how loud it gets
which is "SPL" and given in "dB".

A valid spec for how loud a subwoofer gets would be: "109.7 dB from 25 to 62
Hz with under 10% total harmonic distortion." There are three elements to
this spec - the dB, which is loudness, the Hz, which relates to how the
subwoofer reproduces deep sounds, and the distortion, which relates to how
clean the subwoofer sounds.