PDA

View Full Version : NAD 541i worth the money over 521i CD player?

Reinaldo Valenzuela
July 29th 03, 02:04 PM
Is there any (objective) evidence of perceptually detectable difference in going
from a CD player like the NAD521i to the better DAC & higher priced 541i?

I have a lot of respect for personal preference and choice.
I -prefer- to go by objective metrics.

Reinaldo

Arny Krueger
July 29th 03, 02:51 PM
"MiNE 109" > wrote in message

> In article >,
> Reinaldo Valenzuela > wrote:
>
>> Is there any (objective) evidence of perceptually detectable
>> difference in going
>> from a CD player like the NAD521i to the better DAC & higher priced
>> 541i?
>
> The 541 plays HDCD discs properly.

To bad that there has never been any reliable unbiased evidence that the
HDCD process in and of itself has any audible benefits with commerical
recordings and/or in home use.

MiNE 109
July 29th 03, 03:34 PM
In article >,
"Arny Krueger" > wrote:

> "MiNE 109" > wrote in message
>
> > In article >,
> > Reinaldo Valenzuela > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there any (objective) evidence of perceptually detectable
> >> difference in going
> >> from a CD player like the NAD521i to the better DAC & higher priced
> >> 541i?
> >
> > The 541 plays HDCD discs properly.
>
> To bad that there has never been any reliable unbiased evidence that the
> HDCD process in and of itself has any audible benefits with commerical
> recordings and/or in home use.

Yes, but objectively, HDCD discs will playback at the right volume on
the 541 but not the 521.

Stephen

Arny Krueger
July 29th 03, 03:57 PM
"MiNE 109" > wrote in message

> In article >,
> "Arny Krueger" > wrote:
>
>> "MiNE 109" > wrote in message

>>> The 541 plays HDCD discs properly.
>>
>> To bad that there has never been any reliable unbiased evidence that
>> the HDCD process in and of itself has any audible benefits with
>> commerical recordings and/or in home use.
>
> Yes, but objectively, HDCD discs will playback at the right volume on
> the 541 but not the 521.

BTW, what was it that the original poster said about HDCD discs?

MiNE 109
July 29th 03, 08:57 PM
In article >,
Reinaldo Valenzuela > wrote:

> HDCD would be important if it becomes the dominant format.
> What percentage of new releases are coming out in HDCD?

Here's a good place to look, although it may not answer your question
directly:

http://www.hdcd.com/

There's a catalog, although it would have to be huge to be a substantial
percentage of new releases. Who knows what will happen now that
Microsoft is involved?

Stephen