View Full Version : who is

BErney1014
July 28th 03, 03:57 AM
Who is Arny?

George M. Middius
July 28th 03, 04:00 AM
BErney1014 said:

> Who is Arny?

Instead of flushing, stick out your hand and say "Howdy!"

Robert Morein
July 28th 03, 06:48 AM
"George M. Middius" > wrote in message

> Robert Morein said:
>
> > > Who is Arny?
> >
> > Arny is a person who loves to make new friends, who will always try to
get
> > you out of a jam, whose positive outlook on life is an inspiration to
> > others, whose boundless love and affection has given him inumerable
friends,
> > whose motto is "hear no evil, speak no evil", who has been credited as a
> > beacon of hope to the sightless, the deaf, and the blind, always quick
with
> > a buck to a man in need, generous to a fault, always seeing the silver
> > lining behind every cloud, cheering you when you're down, extending the
hand
> > to help you up, an inspiration to us all.
>
> LOt"S!
>
> ;-)

A truth accidentally found it's way into the above -- "a beacon of hope to
the sightless, the deaf, and the blind."

Thine Deville
July 28th 03, 09:21 AM
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 00:48:42 -0400, "Robert Morein"
> wrote:

>Arny is a person who loves to make new friends, who will always try to get
>you out of a jam, whose positive outlook on life is an inspiration to
>others, whose boundless love and affection has given him inumerable friends,
>whose motto is "hear no evil, speak no evil", who has been credited as a
>beacon of hope to the sightless, the deaf, and the blind, always quick with
>a buck to a man in need, generous to a fault, always seeing the silver
>lining behind every cloud, cheering you when you're down, extending the hand
>to help you up, an inspiration to us all.

Wonderful!

--
Thine

Arny Krueger
July 28th 03, 10:54 AM
"BErney1014" > wrote in message

> Who is Arny?

It appears that in many people's minds, I'm the guy to beat, or at least
beat on around here.

In my own mind, I'm the guy who wants to help people who have questions
about audio.

Got one?

Robert Morein
July 28th 03, 09:27 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

> "BErney1014" > wrote in message
>
> > Who is Arny?
>
> It appears that in many people's minds, I'm the guy to beat, or at least
> beat on around here.
>
> In my own mind, I'm the guy who wants to help people who have questions
> about audio.
>
> Got one?

Yes.
I went to a stereo store and heard two amplifiers both rated at 200
watts/channel, driven into identical speakers, with the same CD.
I set the volume knob so they both sounded equally loud.
One amplifier sounds better than the other to me.
Should I buy it, even though it costs $200 more than the cheaper amplifier
which does not sound as good?

Arny Krueger
July 29th 03, 03:09 AM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> "Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
>>
>> "BErney1014" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Who is Arny?
>>
>> It appears that in many people's minds, I'm the guy to beat, or at
>> least beat on around here.
>>
>> In my own mind, I'm the guy who wants to help people who have
>> questions about audio.
>>
>> Got one?

> Yes.

> I went to a stereo store and heard two amplifiers both rated at 200
> watts/channel, driven into identical speakers, with the same CD.
> I set the volume knob so they both sounded equally loud.
> One amplifier sounds better than the other to me.
> Should I buy it, even though it costs $200 more than the cheaper
> amplifier which does not sound as good?

Morein, you know my answer to that question about as well as I do. Got
nothing better to do than to troll me?

Robert Morein
July 29th 03, 03:56 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> >> It appears that in many people's minds, I'm the guy to beat, or at
> >> least beat on around here.
> >>
> >> In my own mind, I'm the guy who wants to help people who have
> >> questions about audio.
> >>
> >> Got one?
>
> > Yes.
>
> > I went to a stereo store and heard two amplifiers both rated at 200
> > watts/channel, driven into identical speakers, with the same CD.
> > I set the volume knob so they both sounded equally loud.
> > One amplifier sounds better than the other to me.
> > Should I buy it, even though it costs $200 more than the cheaper
> > amplifier which does not sound as good?
>
> Morein, you know my answer to that question about as well as I do. Got
> nothing better to do than to troll me?

It is a legitimate question.
The question has two possible answers:
1. Yes.
2. No.

I do not propose to trap you by requiring that the answer have one word. For
example, you may answer "Yes/No, with qualifications, which are as follows."

Now choose.

Robert Morein
July 29th 03, 01:37 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> >> Morein, you know my answer to that question about as well as I do.
> >> Got nothing better to do than to troll me?
> >>
> > It is a legitimate question.
> > The question has two possible answers:
> > 1. Yes.
> > 2. No.
> >
> > I do not propose to trap you by requiring that the answer have one
> > word. For example, you may answer "Yes/No, with qualifications, which
> > are as follows."
>
> > Now choose.
>
> There is insufficient evidence to make a reasonable choice. Therefore
> neither proposed answer is relevant.

The correct answer is "Yes."
By way of explanation, I should buy the amplifier which sounds better to me.

You've really failed a very basic application of common sense.

Arny Krueger
July 29th 03, 02:38 PM
"Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> "Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

>>> It is a legitimate question.
>>> The question has two possible answers:
>>> 1. Yes.
>>> 2. No.
>>>
>>> I do not propose to trap you by requiring that the answer have one
>>> word. For example, you may answer "Yes/No, with qualifications,
>>> which are as follows."
>>
>>> Now choose.
>>
>> There is insufficient evidence to make a reasonable choice. Therefore
>> neither proposed answer is relevant.

> The correct answer is "Yes."

Prove it. OSAF is cheap.

> By way of explanation, I should buy the amplifier which sounds better
> to me.

Trouble is, it is a proven scientific fact that "sounds best to me" can
easily be an illusion at worst, or just a suboptimal on-the-spot judgment.

So Morein, not only is your *right answer* OSAF, it's just plain wrong.

> You've really failed a very basic application of common sense.

George M. Middius
July 29th 03, 03:00 PM
Robert Morein said:

> > > It is a legitimate question.
> > > The question has two possible answers:
> > > 1. Yes.
> > > 2. No.

> > > I do not propose to trap you by requiring that the answer have one
> > > word. For example, you may answer "Yes/No, with qualifications, which
> > > are as follows."

> > > Now choose.

> > There is insufficient evidence to make a reasonable choice. Therefore
> > neither proposed answer is relevant.

> The correct answer is "Yes."
> By way of explanation, I should buy the amplifier which sounds better to me.

If you're attempting to force Turdy to confront the real world known
to humans, the actual explanation is most likely "the amplifier that
I prefer". There is a difference, and if you can force yourself to
read DementoBorg's spew at any length, you'll see that alleged
audible differences don't scare him as much as non-audio factors
such as styling, color, etc.

> You've really failed a very basic application of common sense.

Maybe his alarm clock lied to him this morning.

Robert Morein
July 29th 03, 04:55 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
> "Robert Morein" > wrote in message

> >> There is insufficient evidence to make a reasonable choice. Therefore
> >> neither proposed answer is relevant.
>
> > The correct answer is "Yes."
>
> Prove it. OSAF is cheap.
>
> > By way of explanation, I should buy the amplifier which sounds better
> > to me.
>
> Trouble is, it is a proven scientific fact that "sounds best to me" can
> easily be an illusion at worst, or just a suboptimal on-the-spot judgment.
>
> So Morein, not only is your *right answer* OSAF, it's just plain wrong.
>
> > You've really failed a very basic application of common sense.

Unfortunately, Arny, your detractors tend to have a grain of truth in what
they say.
You are obviously human, in the way you indulge all the faults of your
personality.
Yet in spite of that, you lack an appreciation of the human condition.
Music is simply a method of stimulating the cerebral cortex in order to
obtain a pleasurable emotional state.
How an individual optimizes that experience is up to him.
He must choose whatever makes him happy, because that is the only
conceivable goal of listening to music in the first place.
There is no meter which will help him in this pursuit.

Every modality of thinking has an applicable sphere.
In my laboratory, where I work with waves in fluids, I rely strictly on
measuring instruments and equations.
But I leave these things behind when I listen to music.

And as much as you would like to position yourself as the champion of
rationality, your urge to do so stems from the seat of illogical impulses,
the hypothalamus.

But unwitting, in spite of yourself, you do give back, Arny.
The rest of us have hypothalamuses also.
We have need to vent our sadistic impulses without guilt.
And you are that person. A convenient doll that says "Ouch!" when r.a.o.'ers
prick it.

As I have McCarty to kick across the planet, and you, IMHO, are not really a
bad guy (here I risk flames!), I give you scant attention.

The game is this: to r.a.o.'ers, you are the ultimate in legal irritations.
I find it extremely funny.

Moi
July 30th 03, 04:25 AM
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:38:17 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote in >:

>> By way of explanation, I should buy the amplifier which sounds better
>> to me.
>
>Trouble is, it is a proven scientific fact that "sounds best to me" can
>easily be an illusion at worst, or just a suboptimal on-the-spot judgment.

Trouble? Why should that be troublesome to anyone but you, Arny? As
a human being, I make "suboptimal" on-the-spot judgments every day,
and (despite your silly attitude of superiority and Borg-like
mechanical way of thinking) I'm quite sure you do too.

What are you so afraid of?

---
"It occurred to me that audio engineers will someday be replaced by
computers. I feel much better now -- at least you can turn a computer off."

Arny Krueger
July 30th 03, 11:44 AM
"Moi" > wrote in message

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 09:38:17 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
> wrote in >:

>> Trouble is, it is a proven scientific fact that "sounds best to me"
>> can easily be an illusion at worst, or just a suboptimal on-the-spot
>> judgment.

> Trouble? Why should that be troublesome to anyone but you, Arny?

Well Moi, then you must think its a really fun experience to buy something
you think sounds good in the store, but find either provides no advantage or
sounds like crap at home, probably when the excitement of the new purchase
wears off, a month or two down the road. Wild and crazy guy that I am, I
don't.

> As a human being, I make "suboptimal" on-the-spot judgments every day,

Don't we all?

> and (despite your silly attitude of superiority and Borg-like
> mechanical way of thinking) I'm quite sure you do too.

But of course. However, I like to do better if I can. I think I've found a
better way to choose audio gear.

> What are you so afraid of?

For better or worse, I'm not afraid of much of anything. However, I think
that the things I've done in the past can be improved upon. I arrived at my
current methods by not being afraid to change from the traditional naive
audiophile way of doing things.