PDA

View Full Version : Re: A QUESTION about WOODEN TONEARMS. - 3 attachments

choro-nik
July 19th 03, 01:59 PM
only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have thought. Wood
does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight is not constant. The
moisture content of wood can also affect its shape though presumably not to
the extent that this would cause any problems.

Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
unnecessarily.

But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.

In the same manner why would anybody want to tune in to AM broadcasts if the
same programs are broadcast on the FM band or even available digitally
(DAB)?

If you want to go back, why don't you go all the way back and listen to
music on a wax cylinder? Now, THAT would be an improvement on present day
equipment! ROFL

--
choro-nik
*******

"Skinback Totey" > wrote in message
2...
> I've recently noticed these wooden tonearms on ebay. Why would tonearms be
> made of wood? Is there any possible benifit besides the obvious cosmetic
> one? Does it affect the sound in any way?
>
> Thanks,
> Skinback Totey

----

----

Access
July 19th 03, 05:07 PM
"choro-nik" > wrote in message
> only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have thought.
Wood
> does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight is not constant.
The
> moisture content of wood can also affect its shape though presumably not
> the extent that this would cause any problems.
>
> Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
> unnecessarily.
>
> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.
>
> In the same manner why would anybody want to tune in to AM broadcasts if
the
> same programs are broadcast on the FM band or even available digitally
> (DAB)?
>
> If you want to go back, why don't you go all the way back and listen to
> music on a wax cylinder? Now, THAT would be an improvement on present day
> equipment! ROFL
>
> --

Who needs music ? ;-))

JBDarmo
July 20th 03, 12:58 AM
"choro-nik" > wrote in message
> only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have thought.
Wood
> does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight is not constant.
The
> moisture content of wood can also affect its shape though presumably not
> the extent that this would cause any problems.
>
> Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
> unnecessarily.
>
> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.
>
> In the same manner why would anybody want to tune in to AM broadcasts if
the
> same programs are broadcast on the FM band or even available digitally
> (DAB)?
>
> If you want to go back, why don't you go all the way back and listen to
> music on a wax cylinder? Now, THAT would be an improvement on present day
> equipment! ROFL

Obviously, you have a very narrow mind. Have you ever heard a really nice
turntable? Probably not.
You should audition one sometime.

Joe

2 channel RULES!

> --
> choro-nik
> *******
> Original quotable quotes from choro-nik
> "The triumph of mediocrity is represented by the body politic."
> "Politics is the art of trying to unravel the repercussions of
yesteryears'
> policies."
> "Trust one scoundrel to quote from another"
> **********
>
> "Skinback Totey" > wrote in message
> 2...
> > I've recently noticed these wooden tonearms on ebay. Why would tonearms
be
> > made of wood? Is there any possible benifit besides the obvious cosmetic
> > one? Does it affect the sound in any way?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Skinback Totey

> ----

> ----

Arny Krueger
July 20th 03, 02:18 AM

"choro-nik" > wrote in message

> only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have
> thought. Wood does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight
> is not constant. The moisture content of wood can also affect its
> shape though presumably not to the extent that this would cause any
> problems.

There are a number of ways to stabilize the moisture content of wood
including both coatings and impregnation.

> Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
> unnecessarily.

Welcome to the high end LP playback equipment business in the 21st century.

> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.

Some LPs have music that is available in no other format. The best way to
enjoy that music is to transcribe it to digital media, but to do that, you
need to play it at least one more time.

> In the same manner why would anybody want to tune in to AM broadcasts
> if the same programs are broadcast on the FM band or even available
> digitally (DAB)?

Or listen to cassette tapes of music that is readily available in a
preferable format.

> If you want to go back, why don't you go all the way back and listen
> to music on a wax cylinder? Now, THAT would be an improvement on
> present day equipment! ROFL

Asked and answered.

S888Wheel
July 20th 03, 08:51 AM
<<

"choro-nik" > wrote in message

> only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have
> thought. Wood does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight
> is not constant. The moisture content of wood can also affect its
> shape though presumably not to the extent that this would cause any
> problems.

There are a number of ways to stabilize the moisture content of wood
including both coatings and impregnation.

> Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
> unnecessarily.

Welcome to the high end LP playback equipment business in the 21st century.

what scams can you cite in the highend LP playback equipment business?

> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.

Some LPs have music that is available in no other format. The best way to
enjoy that music is to transcribe it to digital media, but to do that, you
need to play it at least one more time.

For some of us the best way to enjoy records is to listen to them.

> In the same manner why would anybody want to tune in to AM broadcasts
> if the same programs are broadcast on the FM band or even available
> digitally (DAB)?

Or listen to cassette tapes of music that is readily available in a
preferable format.

> If you want to go back, why don't you go all the way back and listen
> to music on a wax cylinder? Now, THAT would be an improvement on
> present day equipment! ROFL

Asked and answered.

Arny Krueger
July 20th 03, 01:03 PM
"S888Wheel" > wrote in message

<note, this post was incompetently formatted by sockpuppet wheel, which
results in the comingeling of his comments and mine. He also failed to
identify the post he responded to which was message

>"Skinback Totey" > wrote in message
2...

>>> I've recently noticed these wooden tonearms on ebay. Why would
>>> tonearms be made of wood? Is there any possible benifit besides the
>>> obvious cosmetic one? Does it affect the sound in any way?

> "choro-nik" > wrote in message
>

>> only in a negative way would it affect the sound, i would have
>> thought. Wood does absorb and release moisture and thereby its weight
>> is not constant. The moisture content of wood can also affect its
>> shape though presumably not to the extent that this would cause any
>> problems.

> There are a number of ways to stabilize the moisture content of wood
> including both coatings and impregnation.

>> Its just another scam to get gullible people to dish out money
>> unnecessarily.

> Welcome to the high end LP playback equipment business in the 21st
> century.

> what scams can you cite in the highend LP playback equipment business?

Elaborate, expensive equipment for which superior performance is claimed,
but not actually delivered.

>>> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.
>
> Some LPs have music that is available in no other format. The best
> way to enjoy that music is to transcribe it to digital media, but to
> do that, you need to play it at least one more time.

> For some of us the best way to enjoy records is to listen to them.

True sockpuppet Wheel, you lack the skills and resources to digitize them,
so you have to make do within the contexts of your own limiations. In
essence you make policy in this area and many others based on your
intellectual laziness and lack of basic skills.

S888Wheel
July 20th 03, 07:31 PM
Arny said

><note, this post was incompetently formatted by sockpuppet wheel, which
>results in the comingeling of his comments and mine. He also failed to
>identify the post he responded to which was message

Well call the Usenet police and put out a warrent for my arrest.

Arny said

>> Welcome to the high end LP playback equipment business in the 21st
>> century.

I said

>> what scams can you cite in the highend LP playback equipment business?

Arny said

>Elaborate, expensive equipment for which superior performance is claimed,
>but not actually delivered.

Failure to cite any scams in highend LP playback equipment business noted. At
least we have some idea of what would constitute such a scam in your mind were
you to have actually cited any such scams.

Arny said

>> Some LPs have music that is available in no other format. The best
>> way to enjoy that music is to transcribe it to digital media, but to
>> do that, you need to play it at least one more time.

I said

>> For some of us the best way to enjoy records is to listen to them.

Arny said

>True sockpuppet Wheel,

I'm a sockpuppet again. Does this mean you are suffering from paranoid
dellusions or is this a title you give to everyone who beats you like a narc at
a biker rally on a regular basis in debates on audio?

Arny said

> you lack the skills and resources to digitize them,

Nonsense given the fact that I have done so. More dellusions Arny?

Arny said

>so you have to make do within the contexts of your own limiations.

Nonsense. I listen to records because I choose to listen to them. I have burned
them on th CD=R using a friends CD-R burner when I chose to do so. It was quite
easy. I choose not to buy a CD-R burner for the stereo because I have not had a
desire to do so. My habbits are based on choice not on any limmitations you
have delluded yourself into believing plague me.

Arny said

> In
>essence you make policy in this area and many others based on your
>intellectual laziness and lack of basic skills.

Delluded personal attack noted.

S888Wheel
July 21st 03, 01:09 AM
>y said
>
>>> <note, this post was incompetently formatted by sockpuppet wheel,
>>> which results in the comingeling of his comments and mine. He also
>>> failed to identify the post he responded to which was message
>t.com

I said

>> Well call the Usenet police and put out a warrent for my arrest.

Arny said

>No, just taking notice of how lazy and sloppy you are, sockpuppet Wheel.

Maybe you should have just said I was "despirate."

>> Arny said

>> I said

>> Arny said
>
>>> Elaborate, expensive equipment for which superior performance is
>>> claimed, but not actually delivered.

I said

>> Failure to cite any scams in highend LP playback equipment business
>> noted.

Arny said

>Denial of reality noted.

What specifically have I denied that you have proven to be true? I asked you to
cite any scams you claimed exist and you failed to do so. You still fail to do
so. You have nothing to back up your global attack of the highend LP playback
equipment industry.

Arny said

>>> you lack the skills and resources to digitize them,

I said

>> Nonsense given the fact that I have done so.

Arny said

><Subsequently sockpupppet Wheel admits that I was exactly right>

Nonsense.

I said

>> More dellusions Arny?

Arny said

>What's a dellusion?

Asked and answered. I can lead you to the facts arny I can't make you
understand them.

Arny said

>Something that happens if you buy computers from a large
>manufacturer in Texas?

You are quite the "characture" Arny. At least I admit my spelling sucks and my
spell check doesn't work on this computer. You on the other hand are in denial
fo your poor spelling and lazyness.

>> Arny said
>
>>> so you have to make do within the contexts of your own limitations.

I said

>> Nonsense. I listen to records because I choose to listen to them. I
>> have burned them on th CD=R using a friends CD-R burner when I chose
>> to do so.

Arny said

>Thanks for admitting that you personally lack the resources to digitize LPs,

Nonsense. If I can borrow a CD-R burner I have the resources to digitize LPs.
The evidence of this is the fact that I have done so. Maybe the concept of
"resources" is a bit over your head.

Arny said

>You probably also needed considerable help from the owner
>of the CD-R.

Nope. Is this just "despirate"ation on your part to look for any angle of
personal attack?

Arny said

> Finally, you used a highly suboptimal means.

How so? What evidence do you have of this? Do you believe the CD-rs that i have
burned are of a lesser quality than what could have been burned by other means?

I said

>>It was quite easy. I choose not to buy a CD-R burner for
>> the stereo because I have not had a desire to do so.

Arny said

>IOW, too hardscrabble poor; couldn't count on getting necessary assistance.

Ridiculous personal attack noted. For the record money is not the reason for my
choice. People who are "hardscrable poor" do not usually own Forsell turntables
with the optional flywheel.

I said

>> My habbits are
>> based on choice not on any limmitations you have delluded yourself
>> into believing plague me.

Arny said

>You admitted I was right, sockpuppet Wheel.

Nope. Don't blame me for your lack of understanding of what constitutes one's
"resources."

>> Arny said
>
>>> In
>>> essence you make policy in this area and many others based on your
>>> intellectual laziness and lack of basic skills.

I said

>> Delluded personal attack noted.

Arny said

>How can I be delluded when I don't have a Dell?

Guess you are just "despirate"

Lymp Baygul
August 9th 03, 11:17 PM
These were early designs, the Grace came out in the late 70's, and the Grado
was even older. I do not recognize the third arm shown. I think the
hypothesis was that if you can't eliminate resonance, then you might as well
go for the resonances that are the most musical. Material technology has
improved since then so today's tonearms are both low mass and low resonance,
and the wood designs were a curiosity of an earlier era. Still cool for
nostalgia and esthetics tho... Maybe Nichole Kidman should get one for her
old AR-XA, it would be a huge improvement over the stock arm.

"Skinback Totey" > wrote in message
2...
> I've recently noticed these wooden tonearms on ebay. Why would tonearms be
> made of wood? Is there any possible benifit besides the obvious cosmetic
> one? Does it affect the sound in any way?
>
> Thanks,
> Skinback Totey

----

----

Sebastian
February 28th 04, 01:16 AM

> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.

Several reasons: the definition of LPs is far higher than the best that
can be obtained from CDs. The sound is warmer and it has more presence.
DVDs and SACDs begin to approach LPs, but CDs were a bad mistake:
sampling rate was way too low. All that can be said for CDs is that they
are convenient (they're certainly not indestructible and some of them
autodestruct). If you want a graphic explanation of why LPs are better
than CDs, think of normal photos printed in a lab and the same photos
printed on a newspaper: the newspaper ones have lots of tiny dots that
represent their resolution. Just like CDs.

ansermetniac
February 28th 04, 01:28 AM
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:16:50 +0000, Sebastian
> wrote:

>> But why would anybody want to use LP's any more, just beats me.
>>

>Several reasons: the definition of LPs is far higher than the best that
>can be obtained from CDs. The sound is warmer and it has more presence.
>DVDs and SACDs begin to approach LPs, but CDs were a bad mistake:
>sampling rate was way too low. All that can be said for CDs is that they
>are convenient (they're certainly not indestructible and some of them
>autodestruct). If you want a graphic explanation of why LPs are better
>than CDs, think of normal photos printed in a lab and the same photos
>printed on a newspaper: the newspaper ones have lots of tiny dots that
>represent their resolution. Just like CDs.

That is the biggest piece of horsehit I have ever heard. You will go
to your grave believing that tripe. Good for you. You are so
misinformed . And you hear with your stupidity and not you ears.

Abbedd