PDA

View Full Version : Does Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround mean it's in stereo?

jim
July 18th 03, 01:51 PM
Hi, does Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround means it's in Stereo Sound?

Thanks.

Eberhard Sengpiel
July 18th 03, 02:06 PM
jim > wrote:
> Does Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround means
> it's in Stereo Sound?

Hi Jim,

that tells it all:

http://www.dolby.com/ht/surr-age.pdf

Cheers

ebs

jim
July 18th 03, 05:39 PM
Sorry, I couldn't open this link up. can you please explalin it to me?

Thanks.
"Eberhard Sengpiel" > wrote in message
> jim > wrote:
> > Does Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround means
> > it's in Stereo Sound?
>

> Hi Jim,
>
> that tells it all:
>
> http://www.dolby.com/ht/surr-age.pdf
>
> Cheers
>
> ebs

Eberhard Sengpiel
July 19th 03, 01:34 AM
jim > wrote:
> Sorry, I couldn't open this link up. can you please explain it to me?

> > Hi Jim,
> > that tells it all:
> > http://www.dolby.com/ht/surr-age.pdf

First get your free Acrobat PDF Reader to open that file:
That is really necessary for the future!

There is a possibility to read the html-file at:
http://www.google.de/search?q=cache:4sXHl3zAk60J:www.dolby.com/ht/surr-age.pdf+Dolby-surround-in-the-age&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

Cheers

ebs

ChrisCoaster
July 22nd 03, 05:40 PM
"jim" > wrote in message nk.net>...
> Hi, does Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround means it's in Stereo Sound?
>
> Thanks.
_________________________

The general public, at least, has developed a narrow definition of
"stereo" resulting from it's genesis over 50 years ago during the
'primitive' vinyl era. The laws of physics governing stylus movement
specified movement in two directions, up-down(Y) and < >(X). The
combination of these two movements is what enables two-ch. SEPARATION,
which became the definition of stereo in most peoples minds. You can
have two discrete channels. Heck you can have twenty channels and
it'd still be mono!

The pure Greek deafenition of the root "stereos" is SPATIALITY. And
for most of us consumers, that spatiality was defined via the two
channel system developed for records, and later transferred to
cassette, video, and CD. The Greeks' spatial means how sound relates
to what comes from all directions, above you, below you, behind you,
to one side, etc.

So idealistically, the "stereo" world is ALL AROUND you, not just in
front, as with a 2-ch setup, or even in "surround" - matrixed,
digital, or otherwise. You'd need speakers above you as well as in
front & back to come even close to that level of realism.

So technically, yes, 5.1 is the closest thing to the Greek defenition
of stereo sound(what you hear when you head out the door everyday),
but the format, acc. to the site Eberhard posted, will support mono,
"traditional" 2-ch, and so forth.

-CC

Kalman Rubinson
July 22nd 03, 05:55 PM
On 22 Jul 2003 09:40:53 -0700, (ChrisCoaster) wrote:

>The pure Greek deafenition of the root "stereos" is SPATIALITY.

Actually, it is 'SOLID' but your point is well taken.

Kal

ChrisCoaster
July 23rd 03, 06:21 PM
Kalman Rubinson > wrote in message >...
> On 22 Jul 2003 09:40:53 -0700, (ChrisCoaster) wrote:
>
> >The pure Greek deafenition of the root "stereos" is SPATIALITY.
>
> Actually, it is 'SOLID' but your point is well taken.
>
> Kal

"Solid" is even weller taken! Thanks. A well reproduced sound field
is solid, in that it is not lacking in any one direction.

-CC