PDA

View Full Version : The system I'm assembling

Dennis Selwa
July 18th 03, 07:27 AM
Hello,
I'm putting together a little bit at a time, my hi fi system. I would
like to hear from any one on the soundness of my choices, and if I'm
heading in the right direction.
OK here goes:
VPI scout,Dynavector 10x
Acoustech PH-1 (set for max gain so I wont use a line preamp -Just a
pot)
Pass Labs Aleph 5
Quad ESL 57
Kimber 4TC
Kimber PBJ
Some other options I have been considering are: AES PH-1, AES AE-3,
AES Sixpacs- Other components the same.
Now-- What kind of sound will I expect from this little system? Will
the tube system have more depth?
I've been using tubes exclusivly for a long time and wonder whats
going to happen when I go to the Acoustech/Aleph 5 combination?

Dennis Selwa

Arny Krueger
July 18th 03, 09:27 AM
"Dennis Selwa" > wrote in message
om
> Hello,
> I'm putting together a little bit at a time, my hi fi system. I would
> like to hear from any one on the soundness of my choices, and if I'm
> heading in the right direction.
> OK here goes:
> VPI scout,Dynavector 10x
> Acoustech PH-1 (set for max gain so I wont use a line preamp -Just a
> pot)
> Pass Labs Aleph 5
> Quad ESL 57
> Kimber 4TC
> Kimber PBJ
> Some other options I have been considering are: AES PH-1, AES AE-3,
> AES Sixpacs- Other components the same.
> Now-- What kind of sound will I expect from this little system?

Very suboptimal sound quality given that it is based on vinyl playback.

>Will the tube system have more depth?

It will probably make more heat.

> I've been using tubes exclusivly for a long time and wonder whats
> going to happen when I go to the Acoustech/Aleph 5 combination?

You will be spinning your wheels, but that's the whole point, right?

Arny Krueger
July 18th 03, 02:57 PM
"dave weil" > wrote in message

> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 04:27:42 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Dennis Selwa" > wrote in message
>> om
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm putting together a little bit at a time, my hi fi system. I
>>> would like to hear from any one on the soundness of my choices, and
>>> if I'm heading in the right direction.
>>> OK here goes:
>>> VPI scout,Dynavector 10x
>>> Acoustech PH-1 (set for max gain so I wont use a line preamp -Just a
>>> pot)
>>> Pass Labs Aleph 5
>>> Quad ESL 57
>>> Kimber 4TC
>>> Kimber PBJ
>>> Some other options I have been considering are: AES PH-1, AES AE-3,
>>> AES Sixpacs- Other components the same.
>>> Now-- What kind of sound will I expect from this little system?
>>
>> Very suboptimal sound quality given that it is based on vinyl
>> playback.
>
> Except that you're wrong, of course.

Notice that Weil lacks the common decency to say that he disagrees (that's
the actual truth, but far be it for a practiced liar and posturing expert
like Weil to lower himself to merely telling the truth), or explain why I'm
wrong.

>>> Will the tube system have more depth?
>
>> It will probably make more heat.

> And possibly be satisfying to listen to to the poster.

"to to"? I guess the presence of obvious errors is evidence that Weil's
response isn't programmed, because most automated responders at least
produce sentences with proper syntax and spelling. Weil's usual
carelessly-written response fails on both grounds.

As if it's impossible for a more modern system to be satisfying to the
listener.

>>> I've been using tubes exclusivly (sic) for a long time and wonder what's
(sic)
>>> going to happen when I go to the Acoustech/Aleph 5 combination?

>> You will be spinning your wheels, but that's the whole point, right?

> Sounds like it's *you* who's spinning his wheels with this tired diss
> of prference (sic), Mr. Krueger.

Personally, I have a preference for properly spelled words. But as most RAO
regulars know, Weil is too proud to use a spell checker, even though he
bought one.

;-)

> Your response to this post sounds like it was programmed.

Whatever rocks your cradle, servant boy.

> Without knowing what kind of tube gear you've been using, it's
> impossible for anyone, including Mr. Krueger, to say whether or not
> this new system will have more or less "depth" than what you currently
> have.

Weil is too blinkered to notice that *nobody* is going to know whether a
system is going to have more or less depth in the absence of a
generally-agreed-upon definition of "depth".

> Do you currently have the speakers, turntable, etc?

Does it matter?

> If so, the best
> thing of course is to try and borrow the gear that you're considering
> and drop it into the system and do some comparison.

Given that there's a good chance that equipment this old is in need of
maintenance, any equipment he listens to but the actual equipment in
question will probably give different results.

dave weil
July 18th 03, 03:27 PM
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:57:16 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"dave weil" > wrote in message

>> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 04:27:42 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> "Dennis Selwa" > wrote in message
>>> om
>>>
>>> Very suboptimal sound quality given that it is based on vinyl
>>> playback.
>>
>> Except that you're wrong, of course.
>
>Notice that Weil lacks the common decency to say that he disagrees

The fact that I said you're wrong says that I disagree.

>(that's the actual truth, but far be it for a practiced liar and posturing expert
>like Weil to lower himself to merely telling the truth), or explain why I'm
>wrong.

You're wrong, because you don't know whether or not another person
will have the same violent anti-vinyl bias that you do, that's why.

>>> It will probably make more heat.
>
>> And possibly be satisfying to listen to to the poster.
>
>"to to"? I guess the presence of obvious errors is evidence that Weil's
>response isn't programmed, because most automated responders at least
>produce sentences with proper syntax and spelling.

Of course, my response isn't programmed. The fact that you didn't seem
to make any "obvious errors", when your posts are normally rife with
them, indicates that I'm right. Thanks for pointing that out.

>Weil's usual carelessly-written response fails on both grounds.

Which means that I'm a human being responding to the post, not a
computer-generated autoreply.

>As if it's impossible for a more modern system to be satisfying to the
>listener.

As if I said that. Nice "debating trade" tactic though.

>(sic)
>
>>> You will be spinning your wheels, but that's the whole point, right?
>
>> Sounds like it's *you* who's spinning his wheels with this tired diss
>> of prference (sic), Mr. Krueger.
>
>Personally, I have a preference for properly spelled words.

This would be a lie, based on available evidence.

> But as most RAO regulars know, Weil is too proud to use a spell checker, even though he
>bought one.

It came with the newsreader.

>> Your response to this post sounds like it was programmed.
>
>Whatever rocks your cradle, servant boy.

I really appreciate the reference, because apparently it had a
retroactive effect on my tips last night. Walked with $191 on sales of
$850. considering that my tipout was $13, I had a great percentage.
Over 20%. Swwweeeet.

So, thanks again for your malevolent thoughts. Keep them coming, Mr.
Krueger. You're my little personal good luck charm.

>> Without knowing what kind of tube gear you've been using, it's
>> impossible for anyone, including Mr. Krueger, to say whether or not
>> this new system will have more or less "depth" than what you currently
>> have.
>
>Weil is too blinkered to notice that *nobody* is going to know whether a
>system is going to have more or less depth in the absence of a
>generally-agreed-upon definition of "depth".

Well, most people know what the guy meant.

>> Do you currently have the speakers, turntable, etc?
>
>Does it matter?

It does to try to give an educated opinion about the difference
between his current system and the substitutions that he has planned.

>> If so, the best
>> thing of course is to try and borrow the gear that you're considering
>> and drop it into the system and do some comparison.
>
>Given that there's a good chance that equipment this old is in need of
>maintenance, any equipment he listens to but the actual equipment in
>question will probably give different results.

How do you know how old his gear is (or whether or not he even has it
currently)? The only thing that seems old enough to be "in need of
maintenance" is the Quad speaker system, and it's not clear whether he
currently has them or is building the system piece by piece, with the
specifically listed gear to be purchased in the future (or even if
they've recently BEEN rebuilt). That's part of why I asked in the
first place. Of course, you didn't bother to ask *any* questions about
his current system, something that most "scientists" would do before
expressing an opinion. You just decided to **** all over the thread,
as usual.

Nice work, Mr. Krueger.

MiNe 109
July 18th 03, 05:19 PM
In article <ZyURa.90144$ye4.64978@sccrnsc01>,
"normanstrong" > wrote:

> "Dennis Selwa" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hello,
> > I'm putting together a little bit at a time, my hi fi system. I
> would
> > like to hear from any one on the soundness of my choices, and if I'm
> > heading in the right direction.
> > OK here goes:
> > VPI scout,Dynavector 10x
> > Acoustech PH-1 (set for max gain so I wont use a line preamp -Just a
> > pot)
> > Pass Labs Aleph 5
> > Quad ESL 57
> > Kimber 4TC
> > Kimber PBJ
> > Some other options I have been considering are: AES PH-1, AES AE-3,
> > AES Sixpacs- Other components the same.
> > Now-- What kind of sound will I expect from this little system? Will
> > the tube system have more depth?
> > I've been using tubes exclusivly for a long time and wonder whats
> > going to happen when I go to the Acoustech/Aleph 5 combination?
> >
> > Dennis Selwa
>
> You're going to have less money in the bank--for sure. Where does the
> bass come from? I don't recognize any part numbers that look like
> speakers, except for the Quad ESL, which has nothing much in the bass
> region.

ESLs reportedly go down to 40 hz, which is good enough for a lot of
people. And look at all the money he's saving on a preamp.

It didn't take long to find this:

http://www.quadesl.org/Amplifiers/amplifiers.html

There are some inexpensive recommendations there, including the NAD 3020
and the Naim NAIT, assuming one can find one in good condition.

Stephen

Dennis Selwa
July 18th 03, 09:24 PM
Hi,
I understand that asking a question based on a purely subjective
observation will give an infinite number of answers.
Anyway my old equioment:
Citation II
Fisher 55A
Curcio ST70
Eico HF85
MC60's
Quads and Rauna Leiras
Dual 510 with Shure V15MK3

There is no doubt that the new system eclipses the old one. ( I hope
eclipse isnt one of those hackneyed audiophile terms. I dont usually
use them).
Any way I'm going with the new system full speed ahead and damn the
torpedos and arrows of missfortune.

Dennis Selwa

Bruce J. Richman
July 18th 03, 09:50 PM
Dennis Selwa wrote:

>Hi,
> I understand that asking a question based on a purely subjective
>observation will give an infinite number of answers.
>Anyway my old equioment:
>Citation II
>Fisher 55A
>Curcio ST70
>Eico HF85
>MC60's
>Quads and Rauna Leiras
>Dual 510 with Shure V15MK3
>
>There is no doubt that the new system eclipses the old one. ( I hope
>eclipse isnt one of those hackneyed audiophile terms. I dont usually
>use them).
>Any way I'm going with the new system full speed ahead and damn the
>torpedos and arrows of missfortune.
>
>Dennis Selwa

Sounds llike you've made some sound judgments. Naturallly, you'll disregard -
and wisely - the nasty anti-vinyl propaganda that you got in response to a
legitimate question. It's unfortunate that pollution of that type occurs on
RAO, but fortunately, it is limited to one person.

As a former owner of Quad ESL 57's (which I ran, believe it or not with an old
Fisher 400 receiver), I think you'll be very pleased as long as you get a pair
that is in good condition with intact panels with no arcing damage. Although I
prefer running electrostatics with tubes (currently I'm using Martin Logan CSL
II speakers), I've ;auditioned several of the Pass Aleph models in the past,
and I liked what I heard. Not harsh, no "transistoritis" IMHO, and quite
neutral sounding. Just be sure not to overdrive the Quads, as they don't
require a lot of power.

I also own a VPI turntable, and have nothing but good things to say about their
products. They are very rugged, realtively easy to set up, and do not require
a lot of tinkering - all good things in my book.

Now, all you need to ask, and I highly recommend it, is the Disc Doctor
bursh/cleaning fluid system. This 2-step, once-only cleaning process does a
better job in cleaning LPs (both used and new) than anything I've used in the
past. Check it out at http://www.discdoc.com, and good luck!

Bruce J. Richman

Daniel
July 18th 03, 10:44 PM
Dennis -

Ignore Arny. He is the resident nincompoop of r.a.o. Lately his
disorder manifests in a need to dis people who want advice about
playing records.

I don't have any LPs myself, so I have no advice for you other than
this: don't pay a bit of attention to Krueger's rantings. He's a mean
person with no intention of helping you.

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...
> "Dennis Selwa" > wrote in message
> om
> > Hello,
> > I'm putting together a little bit at a time, my hi fi system. I would
> > like to hear from any one on the soundness of my choices, and if I'm
> > heading in the right direction.
> > OK here goes:
> > VPI scout,Dynavector 10x
> > Acoustech PH-1 (set for max gain so I wont use a line preamp -Just a
> > pot)
> > Pass Labs Aleph 5
> > Quad ESL 57
> > Kimber 4TC
> > Kimber PBJ
> > Some other options I have been considering are: AES PH-1, AES AE-3,
> > AES Sixpacs- Other components the same.
> > Now-- What kind of sound will I expect from this little system?
>
> Very suboptimal sound quality given that it is based on vinyl playback.
>
> >Will the tube system have more depth?
>
> It will probably make more heat.
>
> > I've been using tubes exclusivly for a long time and wonder whats
> > going to happen when I go to the Acoustech/Aleph 5 combination?
>
> You will be spinning your wheels, but that's the whole point, right?

Marc Phillips
July 19th 03, 03:16 AM
dave said:

>How do you know how old his gear is (or whether or not he even has it
>currently)? The only thing that seems old enough to be "in need of
>maintenance" is the Quad speaker system, and it's not clear whether he
>currently has them or is building the system piece by piece, with the
>specifically listed gear to be purchased in the future (or even if
>they've recently BEEN rebuilt). That's part of why I asked in the
>first place. Of course, you didn't bother to ask *any* questions about
>his current system, something that most "scientists" would do before
>expressing an opinion. You just decided to **** all over the thread,
>as usual.
>
>Nice work, Mr. Krueger.

Arny's anti-vinyl comments to this guy are so obvious and so trite, I can only
come up with two explanations:

1) Arny wants to take everyone's mind off the fact that he's a child
pornographer by being so overtly and obnoxiously against vinyl.

2) Arny's an attention whore, and his pederasty has made so many people ignore,
avoid and killfile him that he needs to raise his profile to satisfy his need
to be acknowledged by others.

Both, of course, are probably right.

Boon

Arny Krueger
July 19th 03, 03:30 AM
"Marc Phillips" > wrote in message

> dave said:
>
>> How do you know how old his gear is (or whether or not he even has it
>> currently)? The only thing that seems old enough to be "in need of
>> maintenance" is the Quad speaker system, and it's not clear whether
>> he currently has them or is building the system piece by piece, with
>> the specifically listed gear to be purchased in the future (or even
>> if they've recently BEEN rebuilt). That's part of why I asked in the
>> first place. Of course, you didn't bother to ask *any* questions
>> about his current system, something that most "scientists" would do
>> before expressing an opinion. You just decided to **** all over the
>> thread, as usual.
>>
>> Nice work, Mr. Krueger.
>
> Arny's anti-vinyl comments to this guy are so obvious and so trite, I
> can only come up with two explanations:
>
> 1) Arny wants to take everyone's mind off the fact that he's a child
> pornographer by being so overtly and obnoxiously against vinyl.

Marc Phillips dredges up this non-existent child pronography issue whenever
vinyl is getting its just deserts and he can't cope with it.

> 2) Arny's an attention whore, and his pederasty has made so many
> people ignore, avoid and killfile him that he needs to raise his
> profile to satisfy his need to be acknowledged by others.

The pederasty is 100% a fabrication of Marc Phillips imagination. It always
surprises me that my posts get so much attention.

> Both, of course, are probably right.

In Marc Phillips' little world, he's smart.

LOL!

Marc Phillips
July 19th 03, 04:52 AM
Arny said:

>Marc Phillips dredges up this non-existent child pronography

Oh please. Why do you even bother defending yourself anymore? Everyone has
seen the proof, everyone had to live through the ugliness of your fantasy
world.

Just leave the group. You disgust us all.

Boon

Joseph Oberlander
July 19th 03, 07:19 AM
Dennis Selwa wrote:

> There is no doubt that the new system eclipses the old one. ( I hope
> eclipse isnt one of those hackneyed audiophile terms. I dont usually
> use them).
> Any way I'm going with the new system full speed ahead and damn the
> torpedos and arrows of missfortune.

One thing, though.

Look at the Magnepan line. They aren't as good as new Quads, but
certainly aren't as expensive either. Worth a listen, IMO.

Dennis Selwa
July 19th 03, 07:41 AM
(Bruce J. Richman) wrote in message
> and I liked what I heard. Not harsh, no "transistoritis" IMHO, and quite
> neutral sounding. Just be sure not to overdrive the Quads, as they don't
> require a lot of power.
>
> I also own a VPI turntable, and have nothing but good things to say about their
> products. They are very rugged, realtively easy to set up, and do not require
> a lot of tinkering - all good things in my book.
>
> Now, all you need to ask, and I highly recommend it, is the Disc Doctor
> bursh/cleaning fluid system. This 2-step, once-only cleaning process does a
> better job in cleaning LPs (both used and new) than anything I've used in the
> past. Check it out at http://www.discdoc.com, and good luck!
>

> Bruce J. Richman
Hello Bruce,
Thanks for the fine advice. Actually I will eventually get a record
cleaning machine. For now I'll clean my records at "Stereo Unlimited"
here in San Diego. He provides the solutions and will charge me about
$10 to clean 25 records.
Yea I took Arnies comments as a bit of tounge in cheek.There's humor
in his comments--just have to read between the lines. I guess he's the
local court jester. Checking out some of his past posts on vinyl he
does have an AR turntable (or did). Anyway there were no hurt
feelings.

Dennis Selwa

Arny Krueger
July 19th 03, 10:22 AM
"Marc Phillips" > wrote in message

> Arny said:
>
>> Marc Phillips dredges up this non-existent child pornography
>
> Oh please. Why do you even bother defending yourself anymore?
> Everyone has seen the proof, everyone had to live through the
> ugliness of your fantasy world.

Phillips, there is no proof. People see your so-called evidence and laugh
you and your claims off.

> Just leave the group.

Stay around Phillips. We need village idiots like you for comic relief.

> You disgust us all.

You're externalizing again, Phillips.

dave weil
July 19th 03, 01:20 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:20:09 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
> wrote:

>Dennis Selwa wrote:
>
>> Pass Labs Aleph 5
>> Quad ESL 57
>
>Nice speaker. Requires gobs of power, though. Super-clean preamp
>as well.
>
>> Kimber 4TC
>> Kimber PBJ
>
>Just get some big gauge wire. No need to buy into that "uber-wire"
>nonsense. For these speakers, 6-8 gauge would be overkill and more
>than twice the metal per foot than those Kimbers.

Why does it bother you that someone would <gasp> spend $10 a foot on
speaker wire?

Arny Krueger
July 19th 03, 06:01 PM
"dave weil" > wrote in message

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:20:09 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
> > wrote:
>
>> Dennis Selwa wrote:
>>
>>> Pass Labs Aleph 5
>>> Quad ESL 57
>>
>> Nice speaker. Requires gobs of power, though. Super-clean preamp
>> as well.
>>
>>> Kimber 4TC
>>> Kimber PBJ
>>
>> Just get some big gauge wire. No need to buy into that "uber-wire"
>> nonsense. For these speakers, 6-8 gauge would be overkill and more
>> than twice the metal per foot than those Kimbers.
>
> Why does it bother you that someone would <gasp> spend $10 a foot on
> speaker wire?

Two typical 8 foot runs gets you to $160 for what amounts to being $4.00
worth of wire.

If I were as unethical as Weil, I'd think its a great idea that stupid
arrogant people get ripped off for $156 early and often. If only I could be
as unethical as Ray Kimber, and get people to send the money to me!

LOL!

Marc Phillips
July 19th 03, 06:13 PM
Arny said:

>Phillips, there is no proof.

So you never introduced the phrase "Daddy, why did you grope me in my coffin?"
to the group?

Just say you didn't, and you might get off scot-free!

Leave the group, pervert.

Boon

dave weil
July 19th 03, 06:29 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 13:01:25 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"dave weil" > wrote in message

>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 06:20:09 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
>> > wrote:

>>> Nice speaker. Requires gobs of power, though. Super-clean preamp
>>> as well.

>>> Just get some big gauge wire. No need to buy into that "uber-wire"
>>> nonsense. For these speakers, 6-8 gauge would be overkill and more
>>> than twice the metal per foot than those Kimbers.
>>
>> Why does it bother you that someone would <gasp> spend $10 a foot on
>> speaker wire?
>
>Two typical 8 foot runs gets you to $160 for what amounts to being $4.00
>worth of wire.

>If I were as unethical as Weil, I'd think its a great idea that stupid
>arrogant people get ripped off for $156 early and often. If only I could be
>as unethical as Ray Kimber, and get people to send the money to me!

You sir are the unethical one by claiming that others are unethical.
The next thing you know, you'll be going after Rolex as an "unethical
company".

What a joke!

The sanctimonious Arnold Krueger expects *everyone* to share his
desire for mediocrity.

Cool.

Plus, I'll bet he's a bad tipper as well. After all, why leave 15 -20%
when you can leave 5%?

Arny Krueger
July 19th 03, 07:13 PM
"Marc Phillips" > wrote in message

Now as it evolves, if Phillips was smart he would have set the no archve
flag for this post but he didn't.

Here's the headers:

ath:
news5.aus1.giganews.com!firehose2!nntp4!intern1.nn tp.aus1.giganews.com!borde
r3.nntp.aus1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!wn14fe ed!worldnet.att.net!205.18
8.226.97!ngpeer.news.aol.com!audrey-m1.news.aol.com!not-for-mail
From: (Marc Phillips)
Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
Date: 19 Jul 2003 17:13:56 GMT