PDA

View Full Version : Used turntable for a poor college student

Beanie
July 15th 03, 05:54 AM
I'm looking to pick up a used turntable on the cheap (under $100).
Any brands or models I should be looking at in particular? This
turntable will be hooked up to a 1975 Marantz 2240, and I would like
something to replace my really old, cruddy BSR changer--distorts like
hell, and has a permanent cartridge.

Thanks!

George M. Middius
July 15th 03, 06:25 AM
Beanie said:

> I'm looking to pick up a used turntable on the cheap (under $100).
> Any brands or models I should be looking at in particular? This
> turntable will be hooked up to a 1975 Marantz 2240, and I would like
> something to replace my really old, cruddy BSR changer--distorts like
> hell, and has a permanent cartridge.

Tell him, Arnii.

Arny Krueger
July 15th 03, 12:36 PM
"Beanie" > wrote in message
om...

> I'm looking to pick up a used turntable on the cheap (under $100).

Why not try surfing eBay?

> Any brands or models I should be looking at in particular?

You might be able to find a nice Dual changer (1218, 1219 etc.), or an AR
turntable.

You might also want to look at some low-cost more modern "DJ" tables like
those from Stanton and Neumark.

> This turntable will be hooked up to a 1975 Marantz 2240, and I would like
> something to replace my really old, cruddy BSR changer--distorts like
> hell, and has a permanent cartridge.

BSR turntables were pretty crappy when they were new. Upgrading sounds like
a good idea.

dave weil
July 15th 03, 03:02 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 07:36:59 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"Beanie" > wrote in message
om...

>> I'm looking to pick up a used turntable on the cheap (under $100).
>
>Why not try surfing eBay?
>
>> Any brands or models I should be looking at in particular?
>
>You might be able to find a nice Dual changer (1218, 1219 etc.), or an AR
>turntable.
>
>You might also want to look at some low-cost more modern "DJ" tables like
>those from Stanton and Neumark.
>
>> This turntable will be hooked up to a 1975 Marantz 2240, and I would like
>> something to replace my really old, cruddy BSR changer--distorts like
>> hell, and has a permanent cartridge.
>
>BSR turntables were pretty crappy when they were new. Upgrading sounds like
>a good idea.

Agreed. On all counts.

I bought my Pro-Ject One on eBay for just over the target price. I
paid $120 with shipping. The one downside about staying under $100 is
that turntables aren't cheap to ship. Plan on having to pay between
$10 - 20 for shipment.

Here are a few soon-to-be-ending auctions tht meet your price range:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3035325846&category=3283
Phillips 312. Pretty good sounding turntable for under $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034638137&category=3283
Here's an old Dual 1218 that you might be able to steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034653222&category=3283
This is an interesting looking thing that might very well be worth
taking a chance on. After all, you can buy it now for less than $60
(don't know how much it would cost toship from Canada, but the Buy it
Now price is $35. It has a pretty good cartridge as well, *if* it's a
low mileage cartridge as described.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034678268&category=3283
Here's a Micro Seiki that's at .06 with about 13 hours left. You might
get lucky and get it for a really low price. It looks a bit dinged up
so that might keep people from bidding on it. They made really good
turntables.

I also saw a Dual 1225 that you might do a search for.

Anyway, that's a sampling of what's out there. I'd stay away from the
flimsy skinny Japanese cheap turntables, which can be had really
cheaply. Most of them were pretty thin sounding as well...

elg110254
July 16th 03, 06:15 PM
Try Ken Dresch's used audio site: members.aol.com/KDresch/audio.net.html