PDA

View Full Version : Re: A Question about the AR XA turntable.

Arny Krueger
July 13th 03, 12:30 PM
"Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
3...

> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my own
> personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the stylus. I
have
> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be replaced
> with other brands. This means that I will have to either find an AR
> headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice on changing the
> tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I can obtain a headshell
> that will fit on the AR tonearm?

Changing the tonearm on this turntable is a good idea because the standard
tone arm was the worst part of the whole turntable.

One caveat is that the original tone arm had a relatively low profile and
tone arm upgrades are like to obsolete the existing cover.

This individual has been mentioned as having experience in this area:

George Merrill
Underground Sound*
7990 Trinity Road, Suite 124
Memphis, TN 38018
(901) 405-0261

dave weil
July 13th 03, 02:47 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:30:39 -0400, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>"Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
3...

>> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my own
>> personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the stylus. I
>have
>> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be replaced
>> with other brands. This means that I will have to either find an AR
>> headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice on changing the
>> tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I can obtain a headshell
>> that will fit on the AR tonearm?
>
>Changing the tonearm on this turntable is a good idea because the standard
>tone arm was the worst part of the whole turntable.
>
>One caveat is that the original tone arm had a relatively low profile and
>tone arm upgrades are like to obsolete the existing cover.
>
>This individual has been mentioned as having experience in this area:
>
>George Merrill
>Underground Sound*
>7990 Trinity Road, Suite 124
>Memphis, TN 38018
>(901) 405-0261

Unfortunately, he's pretty much out of that business now.

I might have a headshell lying around. If you write me privately to
express interest in it, I'll root around and see if I can find it and
you can have it.

PS, I loved you in Dead Calm.

<chuckle>

Lymp Baygul
July 13th 03, 11:39 PM
If you decide to go the arm upgrade route, I saw this little gem on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3035331467&category=3283

It is a good arm, and the low slung weight would improve your chances of
clearing the dust cover. The big caveat is, I do not know what kind of mods
you would have to make to the plinth and arm board. I have an AR ES-1, and
it came from the factory with a universal armboard.

I have no connection to the seller of this item, just friendly advice.

"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

> "Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
> 3...
>
> > I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my
own
> > personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the stylus. I
> have
> > been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be
replaced
> > with other brands. This means that I will have to either find an AR
> > headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice on changing
the
> > tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I can obtain a
headshell
> > that will fit on the AR tonearm?
>
> Changing the tonearm on this turntable is a good idea because the standard
> tone arm was the worst part of the whole turntable.
>
> One caveat is that the original tone arm had a relatively low profile and
> tone arm upgrades are like to obsolete the existing cover.
>
> This individual has been mentioned as having experience in this area:
>
> George Merrill
> Underground Sound*
> 7990 Trinity Road, Suite 124
> Memphis, TN 38018
> (901) 405-0261

Lymp Baygul
July 14th 03, 01:26 AM
I found a couple of good articles that may help, one on refurbishing the AR,
the other on modifying.

Referb: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue27.pdf
Mod: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue29.pdf

"Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
3...
> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my own
> personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the stylus. I
have
> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be replaced
> with other brands. This means that I will have to either find an AR
> headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice on changing the
> tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I can obtain a headshell
> that will fit on the AR tonearm?
>
> Please help! Thanks,
> Nicole.

Nicole Kidman
July 14th 03, 09:39 AM
"Lymp Baygul" > wrote in
:

> I found a couple of good articles that may help, one on refurbishing
> the AR, the other on modifying.
>
> Referb: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue27.pdf
> Mod: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue29.pdf
>
> "Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
> 3...
>> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my
>> own personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the
>> stylus. I
> have
>> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be
>> replaced with other brands. This means that I will have to either
>> find an AR headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice
>> on changing the tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I
>> can obtain a headshell that will fit on the AR tonearm?
>>
>> Please help! Thanks,
>> Nicole.

Wow,
that was just what I needed. Great literature. Thanks a lot for the tip.
I'm not ready to change the tonearm but the refurb info was really
helpful.
Best,
Nicole.

Trevor Wilson
July 14th 03, 07:33 PM
"Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
3...
> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my own
> personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the stylus. I
have
> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be replaced
> with other brands. This means that I will have to either find an AR
> headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice on changing the
> tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I can obtain a headshell
> that will fit on the AR tonearm?

**Hi Nicole. Nice to see another Aussie in the group. Haul it over, I'll
sort it out for free for you. I treat all celebs that way. It'll cost you an
autographed photograph. OK?

PS: I'm in the book.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

George M. Middius
July 14th 03, 08:35 PM
Trevor Wilson said:

> PS: I'm in the book.

Still under "gargoyle"?

Trevor Wilson
July 14th 03, 09:51 PM
"George M. Middius" > wrote in message

> Trevor Wilson said:
>
> > PS: I'm in the book.
>
> Still under "gargoyle"?

****** off George. I'm hoping to get into Nicole's panties.

Nicole, just ignore George. I'll help you out (of your panties). You have
nothing which can interest George.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com

George M. Middius
July 14th 03, 09:53 PM
Trevor Wilson said:

> > > PS: I'm in the book.
> >
> > Still under "gargoyle"?
>
> ****** off George. I'm hoping to get into Nicole's panties.

I doubt there's much room in there, what with the blue balls and
everything.

Trevor Wilson
July 14th 03, 10:35 PM

> > > Still under "gargoyle"?
> >
> > ****** off George. I'm hoping to get into Nicole's panties.
>
> I doubt there's much room in there, what with the blue balls and
> everything.

**Heheh. I'll manage.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

George M. Middius
July 15th 03, 02:02 AM
Angelina Jolie said:

> Ah, a real man! My turntable is broken too. :-)

Uh..... Krooger says the same thing. :-(

Trevor Wilson
July 15th 03, 02:46 AM
"Angelina Jolie" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Trevor Wilson" > wrote in message

> > > Still under "gargoyle"?
> >
> > ****** off George. I'm hoping to get into Nicole's panties.
> >

> Ah, a real man! My turntable is broken too. :-)

**Not with those lips.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Lymp Baygul
July 15th 03, 09:51 PM
Glad to help. I own an AR ES-1 with Premier MMT, and it is a great table.
Have had it since it was new in the mid 80's. When I do eventually replace
it, will probably be with one of Music Hall's fine offerings.

There are a couple of AR XA headshells on ebay right now.

"Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
3...
> "Lymp Baygul" > wrote in
> :
>
> > I found a couple of good articles that may help, one on refurbishing
> > the AR, the other on modifying.
> >
> > Referb: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue27.pdf
> > Mod: http://www.laaudiofile.com/issue29.pdf
> >
> > "Nicole Kidman" > wrote in message
> > 3...
> >> I just bought an Acoustic Research XA Turntable on ebay to fix for my
> >> own personal use. The turntable is missing the headshell and the
> >> stylus. I
> > have
> >> been told that AR TT's use an exclusive headshell that cannot be
> >> replaced with other brands. This means that I will have to either
> >> find an AR headsheall or change the tonearm. Does anyone have advice
> >> on changing the tonearm on this table? Or does anyone know where I
> >> can obtain a headshell that will fit on the AR tonearm?
> >>
> >> Please help! Thanks,
> >> Nicole.
> >

> Wow,
> that was just what I needed. Great literature. Thanks a lot for the tip.
> I'm not ready to change the tonearm but the refurb info was really
> helpful.
> Best,
> Nicole.

Nicole Kidman
July 16th 03, 08:38 AM
"Trevor Wilson" > wrote in news:3f1317b3
@news.comindico.com.au:

> "George M. Middius" > wrote in message
>>

>> Trevor Wilson said:
>>
>> > PS: I'm in the book.
>>
>> Still under "gargoyle"?
>
> ****** off George. I'm hoping to get into Nicole's panties.
>
> Nicole, just ignore George. I'll help you out (of your panties). You have
> nothing which can interest George.

I think you should learn to have a little more respect for celebrities.
Especially women celebrities. Don't you know how to talk to a lady? No
wonder you're so desperate. You probably sit at the computer all day
looking at porn. Gross!

George M. Middius
July 16th 03, 10:18 AM
Nicole Kidman said:

> I think you should learn to have a little more respect for celebrities.
> Especially women celebrities. Don't you know how to talk to a lady? No
> wonder you're so desperate. You probably sit at the computer all day
> looking at porn. Gross!

Why do you wish you were a girl?