PDA

View Full Version : WAV is the best. WMA is the worst.

Radium
July 11th 03, 10:37 PM

Arny Krueger
July 13th 03, 12:53 PM
"Radium" > wrote in message
om...

..WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files. The only thing that could
possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
close.

Sathyan Sundaram
July 13th 03, 11:30 PM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...
> "Radium" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> .WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files. The only thing that could
> possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
> close.

Arny,

Do you have an opinion on the "lossless" codecs (like FLAC, APE, or
LPAC)? I've been using Monkey's Audio and been pleased with the
results.

thanks,
Sathyan

Radium
July 15th 03, 05:26 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...
> "Radium" > wrote in message
> om...
>
> .WAV is the gold standard in computer sound files.

And the best in quality

> The only thing that could
> possibly be said about WMA and MP3 is that they can sometimes come pretty
> close.

With MP3 being the better one. The S/N ratio of WMA is sickeningly low.

Radium
July 16th 03, 05:34 AM
"Arny Krueger" > wrote in message >...
> The problem with lossless compression is that their space savings are
> relatively mild and highly variable.

PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?

I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate

> Most of these programs do interface
> nicely with programs like Winamp so they are good for people who do a lot of
> playback.

What LPAC and those other digital formats (i.e. those you mentioned)
used in? Where can I find software for them?

Arny Krueger
July 16th 03, 11:11 AM
"Radium" > wrote in message
om
> "Arny Krueger" > wrote in message

>> The problem with lossless compression is that their space savings are
>> relatively mild and highly variable.

> PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?

Right, but compressed PCM does not.

> I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate

VBR is an optional later refinement that is not used in all MP3s.

>> Most of these programs do interface
>> nicely with programs like Winamp so they are good for people who do
>> a lot of playback.

> What LPAC and those other digital formats (i.e. those you mentioned)
> used in? Where can I find software for them?

Please see www.google.com . For example, I searched on LPAC and the first
response was http://www.nue.tu-berlin.de/wer/liebchen/lpac.html , the LPAC
home page.

Arny Krueger
July 17th 03, 11:49 AM
"Radium" > wrote in message
om
> "Arny Krueger" > wrote in message
>> "Radium" > wrote in message
>> om

>>> PCM has constant bit-rate. Right?
>>
>> Right, but compressed PCM does not.
>>
>>> I have only seen MP3s with the option of variable bit-rate
>>
>> VBR is an optional later refinement that is not used in all MP3s.
>
> Speaking of MP3s, how does MP3pro differ from MP3? It has the same
> quality with half the bit-rate. How does this work?

I'm not sure that MP3Pro meets the claims made for it.