PDA

View Full Version : Re: Help identifying "ECC83 Made in India"

Paul Sanchez
August 7th 03, 09:41 PM
Mullards are known to do that.

"johnMFer" > wrote in message
m...
> I tried a Google groups search for this topic (Indian made ecc83), but
> it hasn't been discussed in about four years or so based on my search.
>
> I have two ECC83 tubes I use in guitar amps. They are by far the best
> sounding tubes I have ever used. Initially I had three of them, they
> came installed in a Marshall JCM800 I bought in 1995. The two I have
> left made the Marshall sound its best, and now make my Egnater TOL50
> sound its best. I have tried several other tubes - a couple different
> Sovteks (WA, WXT+, and LPS), some chinese ones that came with the
> Egnater, and NOS Chinese Silver Specials - all of which pale in
> comparison to these Indian ones. They put out the most gain of any of
> the above, but are incredibly smooth sounding with good definition, no
> harshness when overdriven. I'm very very worried, though, that they
> might burn out soon. I already lost one, and am looking for
> replacements.
>
> I'm not a tube buff, so I don't know a lot about them just by looking
> at them. They have no manufacturer name, just in bold white print on
> the side of the tube:
>
> ECC83
> MADE IN INDIA
>
> I've seen 12ax7's with really short guts (lots of empty space in the
> top and bottom of the tube) and really long guts - the guts in these
> tubes are about medium length with fatter grey innards. Also, when
> power first hits them, they light up like a light bulb from the bottom
> of the tube, and the light fades out slowly over about three to four
> seconds. I haven't seen any other tube that does this.
>
> Anybody heard of or seen these kinds of tubes and know where I might
> be able to find something like this?

Choky
August 7th 03, 10:04 PM
Philips made are mid long inside,with lighter effect ;))

--
Choky
Prodanovic Aleksandar

"johnMFer" > wrote in message
m...
> I tried a Google groups search for this topic (Indian made ecc83), but
> it hasn't been discussed in about four years or so based on my search.
>
> I have two ECC83 tubes I use in guitar amps. They are by far the best
> sounding tubes I have ever used. Initially I had three of them, they
> came installed in a Marshall JCM800 I bought in 1995. The two I have
> left made the Marshall sound its best, and now make my Egnater TOL50
> sound its best. I have tried several other tubes - a couple different
> Sovteks (WA, WXT+, and LPS), some chinese ones that came with the
> Egnater, and NOS Chinese Silver Specials - all of which pale in
> comparison to these Indian ones. They put out the most gain of any of
> the above, but are incredibly smooth sounding with good definition, no
> harshness when overdriven. I'm very very worried, though, that they
> might burn out soon. I already lost one, and am looking for
> replacements.
>
> I'm not a tube buff, so I don't know a lot about them just by looking
> at them. They have no manufacturer name, just in bold white print on
> the side of the tube:
>
> ECC83
> MADE IN INDIA
>
> I've seen 12ax7's with really short guts (lots of empty space in the
> top and bottom of the tube) and really long guts - the guts in these
> tubes are about medium length with fatter grey innards. Also, when
> power first hits them, they light up like a light bulb from the bottom
> of the tube, and the light fades out slowly over about three to four
> seconds. I haven't seen any other tube that does this.
>
> Anybody heard of or seen these kinds of tubes and know where I might
> be able to find something like this?

S. Rahaman
August 7th 03, 10:59 PM
I have a few Indian Mullard 12AX7s. They are wonderful. Good luck finding
spares. Let me know when you find them.

Paul Sanchez wrote:

> Mullards are known to do that.
>
> "johnMFer" > wrote in message
> m...
> > I tried a Google groups search for this topic (Indian made ecc83), but
> > it hasn't been discussed in about four years or so based on my search.
> >
> > I have two ECC83 tubes I use in guitar amps. They are by far the best
> > sounding tubes I have ever used. Initially I had three of them, they
> > came installed in a Marshall JCM800 I bought in 1995. The two I have
> > left made the Marshall sound its best, and now make my Egnater TOL50
> > sound its best. I have tried several other tubes - a couple different
> > Sovteks (WA, WXT+, and LPS), some chinese ones that came with the
> > Egnater, and NOS Chinese Silver Specials - all of which pale in
> > comparison to these Indian ones. They put out the most gain of any of
> > the above, but are incredibly smooth sounding with good definition, no
> > harshness when overdriven. I'm very very worried, though, that they
> > might burn out soon. I already lost one, and am looking for
> > replacements.
> >
> > I'm not a tube buff, so I don't know a lot about them just by looking
> > at them. They have no manufacturer name, just in bold white print on
> > the side of the tube:
> >
> > ECC83
> > MADE IN INDIA
> >
> > I've seen 12ax7's with really short guts (lots of empty space in the
> > top and bottom of the tube) and really long guts - the guts in these
> > tubes are about medium length with fatter grey innards. Also, when
> > power first hits them, they light up like a light bulb from the bottom
> > of the tube, and the light fades out slowly over about three to four
> > seconds. I haven't seen any other tube that does this.
> >
> > Anybody heard of or seen these kinds of tubes and know where I might
> > be able to find something like this?

Mikkel C. Simonsen
August 8th 03, 12:40 AM
johnMFer wrote:

> Also, when power first hits them, they light up like a light bulb
> from the bottom of the tube, and the light fades out slowly over
> about three to four seconds. I haven't seen any other tube that
> does this.

Then I guess you have never tried Philips tubes... Try to get some
Philips tubes - they will likely be similar. They can also be disguised
as Miniwatt, Mullard, Valvo, Adzam, Mazda or Amperex "Bugle Boy".

> Anybody heard of or seen these kinds of tubes and know where I might
> be able to find something like this?

Any old European radio, amp or TV ;-)

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

johnMFer
August 8th 03, 07:07 AM
Okay, I took another look at the tubes and noticed that this was printed on
the backside of the tube:
E3
31
I was emailed a link (thanks!) to the Philips factory codes at
http://www.triodeel.com/philipsfactorycodes.jpg. It seems if these were
Philips tubes, then the designation should be V for Indian manufacture, not
E. So, either these aren't Philips after all or they're marked India to
avoid some sort of import tax.

Here are some pics. What do you guys and gals think?
http://members.cox.net/johnmfer/front.jpg
http://members.cox.net/johnmfer/back.jpg
http://members.cox.net/johnmfer/closeup.jpg - the bottom number looks like
81 in the photo, but in person it looks more like 31.

Thanks to everyone so far for the input.

John

JP
August 8th 03, 09:08 AM
(johnMFer) wrote in message >...
> I tried a Google groups search for this topic (Indian made ecc83), but
> it hasn't been discussed in about four years or so based on my search.
>
> I have two ECC83 tubes I use in guitar amps. They are by far the best
> sounding tubes I have ever used. Initially I had three of them, they
> came installed in a Marshall JCM800 I bought in 1995. The two I have
> left made the Marshall sound its best, and now make my Egnater TOL50
> sound its best. I have tried several other tubes - a couple different
> Sovteks (WA, WXT+, and LPS), some chinese ones that came with the
> Egnater, and NOS Chinese Silver Specials - all of which pale in
> comparison to these Indian ones. They put out the most gain of any of
> the above, but are incredibly smooth sounding with good definition, no
> harshness when overdriven. I'm very very worried, though, that they
> might burn out soon. I already lost one, and am looking for
> replacements.
>
> I'm not a tube buff, so I don't know a lot about them just by looking
> at them. They have no manufacturer name, just in bold white print on
> the side of the tube:
>
> ECC83
> MADE IN INDIA
>
> I've seen 12ax7's with really short guts (lots of empty space in the
> top and bottom of the tube) and really long guts - the guts in these
> tubes are about medium length with fatter grey innards. Also, when
> power first hits them, they light up like a light bulb from the bottom
> of the tube, and the light fades out slowly over about three to four
> seconds. I haven't seen any other tube that does this.
>
> Anybody heard of or seen these kinds of tubes and know where I might
> be able to find something like this?

I know about one Indian Company that used to make tubes but they
definitely printed their name on tube.

They stopped producing tubes many years ago.

I live in New Delhi and I am connected with electronics industry here.

I know a few people who used to deal in tubes; they must be having
some of these.
I will e-mail you in a few days time about price and availability.
Thanks

JP

StuartB54
August 9th 03, 01:36 AM
Years ago I looked at buying an ARC SP-6x preamp. THe guy had apparently bought
it and never used it so it sat in a box for years, and was never powered up.
When I looked at it I took of the ventilated top and the 12AX7 tubes all looked
like your pictures. I never bought it. But I bet you might be able to find out
some information by contacting ARC.

Stuart

johnMFer
August 10th 03, 07:38 PM
Thanks! I will do that. I'll update this thread when I hear from them.

Anybody own one of these ARC preamps with the original tubes still in use?

John