PDA

View Full Version : Action of the Week - The Best Restore of a Dynaco ST70 to date.

Dwaine Garden
August 2nd 03, 06:17 AM
I'm impressed with the quality of the restore. The amount of blood,
sweat and tears shows in the workmanship of this restore.

This time it's not a waste of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038629427&category=39783

Thank you to the person that is hosting the auction. It shows people
still care about tube amps.

Dwaine.

Gregg
August 2nd 03, 07:49 AM
Ummmmm, that's not a restore, that's a repro. He designs and sells them.
Read the text ;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Bob Hedberg
August 2nd 03, 01:18 PM
I don't know about the price.
I was never impressed with small Solen coupling caps. I can't make
out the input stage coupling caps. The Russian 7199's aren't great,
either, as compared to NOS.
For the price, I'd expect Hovlands or equivilant for signal caps, a
Mullard 5ar4, and NOS RCA 7199's. HEXFREDs or similar for the bias
rectifiers wouldn't be out of the question, either.

Sorry, I can't see it.

Bob Hedberg

Dwaine Garden > wrote:

>I'm impressed with the quality of the restore. The amount of blood,
>sweat and tears shows in the workmanship of this restore.
>
>This time it's not a waste of time.
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038629427&category=39783
>
>Thank you to the person that is hosting the auction. It shows people
>still care about tube amps.
>
>Dwaine.

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)

Shiva
August 3rd 03, 03:38 AM
"Dwaine Garden" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
> I'm impressed with the quality of the restore. The amount of blood,
> sweat and tears shows in the workmanship of this restore.
>
> This time it's not a waste of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038629427&category=39783

> Thank you to the person that is hosting the auction. It shows people
> still care about tube amps.
>
> Dwaine.

An ST70 for 900 bux? I'd have to sturt huffin' gas to even consider that!
And jeesh, for that kind of dough, ya think you could blow a few $$ on a
silkscreen? And do i havce to wipe off all the blood, sweat & tears to
boot? Jeesh....

Hans
August 5th 03, 01:25 AM
"Shiva" > skrev i en meddelelse

> An ST70 for 900 bux? I'd have to sturt huffin' gas to even consider that!
> And jeesh, for that kind of dough, ya think you could blow a few $$ on a
> silkscreen? And do i havce to wipe off all the blood, sweat & tears to
> boot? Jeesh....

In 1978 when the ST70 was sold as a kit in Denmark, the price was $185, so i
think you're quite right. :-)

/ Hans

Mark Pearson
August 5th 03, 04:01 AM
I think that the ST-70 is the most over-rated tube amp ever built. It is
all hype. I owned a ST-70 that I bought from the original owner. It was in
truly mint shape. I thought it was OK until I bought an ARC D-76. The
ST-70 was a boy trying to do a man's job by comparison. The D-76 blew it
away in every category that you could conceive of. I just don't get it.
"Hans" > wrote in message
k...
> "Shiva" > skrev i en meddelelse
> >

> > An ST70 for 900 bux? I'd have to sturt huffin' gas to even consider
that!
> > And jeesh, for that kind of dough, ya think you could blow a few $$ on a
> > silkscreen? And do i havce to wipe off all the blood, sweat & tears to
> > boot? Jeesh....
> >
> In 1978 when the ST70 was sold as a kit in Denmark, the price was $185, so
> think you're quite right. :-)
>
> / Hans

Rich Andrews
August 6th 03, 02:39 PM
(Ted Peterson) wrote in
om:

> "Mark Pearson" > wrote in message
>> I think that the ST-70 is the most over-rated tube amp ever built. It
>> is all hype. I owned a ST-70 that I bought from the original owner.
>> It was in truly mint shape. I thought it was OK until I bought an ARC
>> D-76. The ST-70 was a boy trying to do a man's job by comparison. The
>> D-76 blew it away in every category that you could conceive of. I just
>> don't get it. "Hans" > wrote in message
>> k...

>> that!
>> > >
>> > In 1978 when the ST70 was sold as a kit in Denmark, the price was
>> > $185, so
>> > think you're quite right. :-)
>> >
>> > / Hans
>> >

> If it was mint, then the amplifier no doubt had very leaky coupling
> caps, horked bias section, weak output tubes, etc. Hardly a fair
> comparison as it probably wasn't running even close to spec. No, the
> ST-70 isn't a Macintosh - but when setup right, they sound very nice,
> easily superior to a lot of the mid-fi solid state stuff out there
> today.

There is a reason the Dynaco amps were referred as a "poor man's McIntosh" in
my neck of the woods. It was the next best thing. Speaking of bias, the
last time I fired up by fathers 1955 MKII, the bias was solid and steady even
though it had the original bias circuit with the original selenium rectifier.
MMMV though!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

arizona cowboy
August 7th 03, 05:09 PM
I'm impressed with the quality of the restore. The amount of blood,
> sweat and tears shows in the workmanship of this restore.
>
> This time it's not a waste of time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3038629427&category=39783

> Thank you to the person that is hosting the auction. It shows people
> still care about tube amps.
>
> Dwaine.

He wants $795 when you can watch ebay for a couple weeks and find a mint
original early one for $450 ??

and the ones for $450 mint have a good chance of having some Mullard made
tubes inside.

Is this *your* auction?

that might be a deal at $395, if he would lose the Sovtek tubes and at least
use NOS RCA.

azcowboy