PDA

View Full Version : Re: I have found it

Ian Iveson
July 28th 03, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the report, tony.

Often the original questioner never reports back what happened,
leaving me perplexed.

cheers, Ian

"tony.r" > wrote in message
> I have found it
>
> It was the output trans sitting right above the preamp.
>
> I did the chopstick thing and found the problem area. It was the
primary
> wires to the OT. No matter what I did I could not stop the squeal.
I did
> some research and found a possible fix. Move the OT down the other
end of
> the chassis, towards the power trans.
>
> So I did that today and it has worked. The OT,s plates are 90 Deg
to the
> Power trans and they are 1 1/2" apart. The amp works perfectly.
> I am totally blown away. I plugged in this arvo and didn't want to
stop
> playin.
> Got out all my boss pedals and went crazy.
>
> The advice given to put the OT at the other end of the chassis did
not work
> for this amp. Dose it ever work ?
> I am waiting for a copy of the RCA Handbook so I can learn more
about what
> I am doing, But this lesson was well learnt from hard earned
experience.

> Thanks for all your help. tony.r
http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

jim
July 29th 03, 01:49 AM
"Ian Iveson" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the report, tony.
>
> Often the original questioner never reports back what happened,
> leaving me perplexed.
>
> cheers, Ian
>
> "tony.r" > wrote in message
> > I have found it
> >
> > It was the output trans sitting right above the preamp.
> >
> > I did the chopstick thing and found the problem area. It was the
> primary
> > wires to the OT. No matter what I did I could not stop the squeal.
> I did
> > some research and found a possible fix. Move the OT down the other
> end of
> > the chassis, towards the power trans.
> >
> > So I did that today and it has worked. The OT,s plates are 90 Deg
> to the
> > Power trans and they are 1 1/2" apart. The amp works perfectly.
> > I am totally blown away. I plugged in this arvo and didn't want to
> stop
> > playin.
> > Got out all my boss pedals and went crazy.
> >
> > The advice given to put the OT at the other end of the chassis did
> not work
> > for this amp. Dose it ever work ?
> > I am waiting for a copy of the RCA Handbook so I can learn more
> about what
> > I am doing, But this lesson was well learnt from hard earned
> experience.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help. tony.r
> http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/

Seem to be missing half of this thread somewhere. Good old Bill Gates. What
a super chap he is. Today, a young man from Royal Sun Alliance Insurance
asked me for our fax number so he could send me the number RS10381776. He
had already told me the number, last Thursday, but it was nice to get it
again on a piece of paper via British Telecom.
Apparently, I can now start an accident repair job on a Citroen Xsara.
I actually did the job last week, gave it back to the man and invoiced Royal
Sun Alliance for the work.
They will probably pay me before they have authorized the work....... with
a broadband BACS transfer or whatever -- it may even get into our bank
account rather than somebody elses... Next week an assessor will probably
turn up to look at the job and tell me it is OK to proceed with
repairs ----- ??!!
The moral ??? Communication !!! I now get an answer before I have asked
the question......
Tony has his OPT directly above his preamp. No matter how hard I **** it,
my Strat only produces a few millivolts...... just under an OPT and it's
wiring, and an HT supply !!!!!!!!
Lay it out sensibly with the big volts at one end and the little volts at
the other and earth down at the lowest voltage end and all this hum/feedback
stuff just disappears.......
UNLESS you forget to tell us the OPT is sitting on top of the input jack
!!!!!!!!
regards
jim