PDA

View Full Version : Spam question . . .

Jon Yaeger
July 27th 03, 09:25 PM
Has anyone on this NG received multiple (I'm taling about 10+/day) spams
from a d.reinert for some anti-bacterial crap? I'm wondering if they are
using a bot to troll the NGs.

TIA.

Jon

Marko
July 27th 03, 09:47 PM
JY: There was a news report on that a few days ago. As I recall it is
highly automated. They do scan NG for addresses and they are sold as a
commodity, as in data warehousing. The government claims to be attempting
to pass legislation to fine them for doing this, but after the announcement,
as usual, it fades into the sunset. They are good at continually changing
the subject line to circumvent antispam software. There are also hundreds
of different people pushing the same message with continually rotating
subject lines. One person can spam millions of people for almost no cost.
Out of control. There is a very low yield, but worldwide if a spammer finds
ten suckers a day then they have an income. MH (this is a top post)