PDA

View Full Version : Can I put 2 transformer in series?

Tube747
July 27th 03, 02:16 AM
Hello!
Can I put 2 identical power transformer (115V primary and 6.3VCT secondary) in
series and get 230V primary and 6.3VCT on secondary)?

Thank!

Alan Douglas
July 27th 03, 02:39 AM
Hi,

>Can I put 2 identical power transformer (115V primary and 6.3VCT secondary) in
>series and get 230V primary and 6.3VCT on secondary)?

Yes. You might want to put a lamp in series when you first run it,
just in case you get the phasing wrong. Measure the two primary
voltages to be sure they're equal.

73, Alan

Alan Douglas
July 27th 03, 02:41 AM
Back again,

I forgot to mention that the two secondaries *must* be parallelled.

73, Alan

Alan Douglas
July 27th 03, 03:34 PM
Hi,

>Are you meaning that putting the primary in series and secondary in parallel of
>2 identical transformers for 230V primary and 6.3VCT on the secondary?

Yes.

>I heard the people said that it's better to use 2 transformers which has 115
>primary for 230V instead of "one single" transformer that has 230V at the
>beginning. Is that correct?

It's certainly not better; in fact it's a kludge and not all that
safe, but it will "work" if you only have 115 (120)V transformers.

>Finally, do you think 2 transformer (primary in series and secondary in
>parallel) will affect the efficiency of the transformers itself?

A little less efficient, not enough to worry about.

73, Alan