PDA

View Full Version : Restore Harmon Kardon A700 intergrated amplifier?

Paul K
July 26th 03, 08:33 PM
Hi,

This is my first post, and I'm not really what one would call an
audiophile, but I don't have any decent audio equipment, and I'd like
to start building a system.

For an amp, I think I'd like to use my father's old HK Award Series
A700, but it needs some restoration. When he stopped using it about
15 years ago, the switches and sliders were starting to corrode, but
the amp still functioned. Last time I tried to power it up though, it
just popped the fuse instantly.

Does this sound like something worth a restoration attempt? If so,
how do I start? How much might it cost?

Thanks,
-Paul

TubeGarden
July 26th 03, 10:00 PM
Hi RATs!

H-K made good stuff.

The capacitors need to be reformed, and all the switches need cleaning.

Could cost more than ten bucks before you are done.

Beware ;)

Happy Ears!
Al

Alan J. Marcy
Phoenix, AZ

PWC/mystic/Earhead

Robert Casey
July 26th 03, 10:19 PM
Paul K wrote:

>For an amp, I think I'd like to use my father's old HK Award Series
>A700, but it needs some restoration. When he stopped using it about
>15 years ago, the switches and sliders were starting to corrode, but
>the amp still functioned. Last time I tried to power it up though, it
>just popped the fuse instantly.
>
>Does this sound like something worth a restoration attempt? If so,
>how do I start? How much might it cost?

Most likely the electrolytic filter caps are bad. Also other coupling
caps are likely to
need replacing. Take a look at the FAQs for the group
rec.antiques.radio+phono
http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/antiques/radio+phono/faq/.html
And some sites on replacing capacitors:
http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/repair.htm
http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Be careful of the high voltages used in tube electronics. Usually in the
hundreds of volts.