PDA

View Full Version : Valve Amps ?

tony.r
July 22nd 03, 08:33 AM
Valve Amps ?

What can I say, great sound, what ever happened to just a guitar and an amp.
Like everyone else I use effects but to a point. The guitar the amp and the
person playing sounds like a plan to me. Some real hand made tone not found
often in today's bands.
http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/
tony.r

Patrick Turner
July 22nd 03, 10:51 AM
"tony.r" wrote:

> Valve Amps ?
>
> What can I say, great sound, what ever happened to just a guitar and an amp.
> Like everyone else I use effects but to a point. The guitar the amp and the
> person playing sounds like a plan to me. Some real hand made tone not found
> often in today's bands.
> http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/
> tony.r

But just a geetah, and just a simple amp isn't enough
for the kids who want everything yeasterday.
Reality and simplicity are dead boring.

Take old Mick Jagger, now there's a dude who is plain musical,
and I suspect he was born that way, with the right genes.
He plays some really good rythym and blues,
and I mean apart from his money making rock and roll sessions/gigs.
The kids see an old dude like that, and most ain't got no talent,
and they prance about thinking it takes five minutes to learn everything,
and they try to get the hardware to compensate for theit lack of talent
and training, hence Metallica et all, and "thrash music", which
is utterly boring to a boring old fart like me, who likes
music to be mostly the product of a brain, not a device,
or of peurile teenage angst.
I like George Benson, Mark Knoffler, as these guys' intelligence
and feeling shows through the music...
I also like church organs, and Bach.
Even a Hammond organ, fully tubed, is a beautiful sounding thing,
when well played.

Patrick Turner.

Ross Matheson
July 22nd 03, 11:02 AM
"tony.r" > reckoned:

: Valve Amps ?
:
: What can I say, great sound, what ever happened to just a guitar and an amp.
: Like everyone else I use effects but to a point. The guitar the amp and the
: person playing sounds like a plan to me. Some real hand made tone not found
: often in today's bands.
: http://www.ncable.com.au/~tony.r/
: tony.r

"Good on yer, mate ..."

Yup, I have a friend who plays lead through a valve amp, more jazz tho.

Stick in a link from p.1 to p.2, it'll flow easier!