PDA

View Full Version : Ratio

Jeff Kapp
July 21st 03, 07:28 AM
I have heard that there should be a particular ratio of leakage
inductance and inter winding capacitance in an output transformer,
only then maximum high frequency response is achieved in OPT.
If there is such a thing then what should be ratio?

Thanks

Patrick Turner
July 21st 03, 01:42 PM
Jeff Kapp wrote:

> I have heard that there should be a particular ratio of leakage
> inductance and inter winding capacitance in an output transformer,
> only then maximum high frequency response is achieved in OPT.
> If there is such a thing then what should be ratio?
>
> Thanks

That's a good question, and first the leakage inductance
should be a value at least 20,000 times less than the primary
inductance,
and this small value of inductance and the shunt capacitance should
form a resonant circuit at a frequency above 80 kHz.

But this is a terribly simplistic answer, and to really understand
what is required, you should read and study RDH4 on the subject,
and then perhaps move on to
http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwebpgs02/outputtrans.htm
where a few things are further explained about building a practical
OPT.

Patrick Turner.

Yves Monmagnon
July 21st 03, 05:43 PM
"Patrick Turner" > wrote in message

> Jeff Kapp wrote:
>
> > I have heard that there should be a particular ratio of leakage
> > inductance and inter winding capacitance in an output transformer,
> > only then maximum high frequency response is achieved in OPT.
> > If there is such a thing then what should be ratio?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> That's a good question, and first the leakage inductance
> should be a value at least 20,000 times less than the primary
> inductance,
> and this small value of inductance and the shunt capacitance should
> form a resonant circuit at a frequency above 80 kHz.
>
> But this is a terribly simplistic answer, and to really understand
> what is required, you should read and study RDH4 on the subject,
> and then perhaps move on to
> http://www.turneraudio.com.au/htmlwebpgs02/outputtrans.htm
> where a few things are further explained about building a practical
> OPT.
Interlayer insulation had to be thick to minimise capacitance, and thin to
minimize
leak.
Wich insulating material have the lowest dielectric K ?
The more interleaving value, the less the leak, the higher the parasitic
capacitance.
Here is the challenge.(IMHO !)

Yves